Chapter 87: Hasty And Stupid Decisions

Start from the beginning

''Three months.''

''Three months already?'' Katya spooned the eggs and bacon onto two plates, setting them down on the counter. ''Jeez, time passes so fast when all days blur into one.''

Natasha hummed. ''I'm buying you dinner on Wednesday by the way, just a little heads-up,'' she said from behind her, filling some cups with water. 

Katya twisted around, spatula in her hand. ''Why?''

''Because I want to. We haven't had a date since we got married.''

She was right. They hadn't done a date night or anything like that for years. First because they couldn't and now because they didn't have the energy for them. It was definitely time for a worry free night. ''You're right. Alright then.''

There was a loud meow and Liho pressed her head against the redhead's legs. They had gotten the cat a couple weeks after Thanos, hoping to fill some of the emptiness in both the Compound and themselves. Even though it hadn't had that effect, they loved the cat, even if Katya would never admit it.  

''Did you feed the cat?'' Natasha asked as she moved to grab the food.

''It's your cat,'' Katya chuckled, shaking her head at the love her wife had for the animal. ''Still can't believe you named her after the Russian mythical creature of bad luck and misfortune.''

Natasha smirked. ''You said I could name the cat.''

''Should have totally seen this coming,'' Katya chuckled, rolling her eyes. She should have seen such a funny thing coming, since Natasha liked to pull stupid pranks to mess with people. Steve's hat that said ''World War Two Veteran'' while on the run during the fall of SHIELD? Yeah that was all Nat. She also likes to play the national anthem whenever he walks into a room. He loves it but hates it. 

''Yeah, you should have. You've known me for most of my life.''

There was not much to talk about over lunch or dinner or breakfast these days. Society was still picking up the pieces, so no new movies had come out. Sports clubs went bankrupt so sports events and competitions weren't held anymore. They definitely didn't talk about the news or their friends they never saw. So the topics were very limited and most of the time they simply ate in silence or Katya told a story about the orphanage.

Natasha loved how her eyes lit up when she talked about ''her kids'', because that's what she considered them to be. They weren't just children she helped give a home, only to never care about them again. She knew every single one by name, celebrated their birthdays with them and helped them with homework.

Despite both of them loving children, there had been no talk of them adopting a kid of their own anymore. With their mental state and their busy lives, there was simply no time for one and neither of them knew if they were capable of raising a child. It had never been an option before in their life and both of them had come to peace with that. They had enough with each other.

If it were up to Natasha, she'd get six more cats and call it quits. 

''I swear she's like your long lost sister or something. Yesterday she called me ''Kat'' and-'' Katya stopped her rambling about Maya when she realized she was being stared at. ''What?''

''Nothing,'' Natasha said quickly, going back to eating her food. ''Go on.''

But Katya had lost her train of thought and narrowed her eyes in suspicion. She had not missed the emotions behind the green eyes. ''Why are you getting all emotional?''