EIGHT

BIKE RIDING
flashback
seven years old

BIKE RIDINGflashbackseven years old

"Come on Fal, you got this." Chris cheered as he watched the girl cling onto both the handle bars with one hand and the fence with the other.

It was her first time learning how to ride a bike and Chris had promised to teach her since he learnt a week ago and was claiming that he was now a professional bike rider.

"I don't want to let go, Chrissy." Fallon said adamantly. Her knuckles had turned white with how tight her grip was a she she was sure that the fence was going to be giving her splinters soon.

"It's not hard. All you gotta do is push off." Chris said as she stood beside her. He placed his hand over hers and smile up at him.

Fallon turned to look at Chris with a small pout playing on her face.

"Help me off, Chrissy?" She whispered vulnerably as Jax and Naya came out of the house. Both of them leant against the fence and waited to see what happened next.

"I'll hold onto the back of your bike. Please, Momma Reyes said she'll take us on a bike ride the second that you've learnt." Chris said pleadingly. "She said we could get ice cream."

"Jax, Naya, will you hold on too?" Fallon questioned anxiously.

Both her older siblings nodded with a warm smile as they made their way out of the front lawn to held Fallon learn how to ride her back.

Jax and Naya placed one hand on the handle bars and the other on Fallon's back, whilst Chris was at the back of the bike holding onto the seat.

"This is how my daddy taught me how to ride a bike." Chris muttered, he looked towards Jax and whispered, "We have to let go at some point."

Jax nodded understandingly, he was pretty sure it was the method that all parents used. His stepdad, Alejandro, taught him how to ride a bike this way as well as Naya.

His birth dad always promised to teach him when he was younger but his depression got the better of him and he couldn't hang on for much longer. Jax was only three when his father died.

"Get ready, Fallon." Naya smiled towards her sister.

"Come on, we've got you. Let go of the fence." Jax encouraged, causing Fallon to merely nod and release her grip from the white picket fence.

"Promise you won't let me go?" Fallon questioned anxiously as she looked back at Chris.

"I promise I'll never let you go." Chris smiled reassuringly.

She clung onto the handle bars tightly and began to pedal as her siblings and Chris ran alongside her to make sure that she didn't fall.

Fallon had a huge smile on her face as she felt the wind in her hair, she wasn't aware of how fast she was going and the fact that she was now pedalling alone until she turned back to look at Chris to see if he was proud of her.

"YOU LET ME GO." Fallon shouted as she lost control of the bike and fell off, rolling onto the grass of someone else's lawn.

"Fuck." Jax uttered as he ran towards his younger sister who was now cradling her knee into her chest.

"That's a bad word." Chris reminded him as he too ran over to Fallon whilst Naya ran inside to get her mother.

"You let me go. I don't want to talk to you." Fallon said as she turned away from the boys.

She let out an angry huff as she slowly stood herself up, not bothering to look down at her knee, which was currently bleeding.

Her bottom lip began to quiver and it was as if it was the first time she had felt it hurting. She pushed past Chris who tried to grab her hand and rushed inside.

~

Chris knocked on the girls bedroom door before entering her room. She was curled up in a ball on her bed with a pout playing on her face.

"Fallon?" Chris whispered nervously as she went and sat on the bed beside her. "I brought you a chocolate muffin." He handed her the chocolate muffin with a smile.

Fallon looked up to the boy with a soft toothy smile. She took the muffin and sat up straight.

"Will you share it with me?" She questioned, her voice cracking slightly as she did so. Chris nodded in response and watched as she split the muffin in half before handing it to him.

"I'm sorry for letting go, Fally."

"You promised you'd never let me go." Fallon's bottom lip began to quiver once again.

"I won't ever let you go again," Chris said wrapping his arm around her shoulder and pulling her closer to him. "I promise."