Why Did You Do It? Ch. 9

Start from the beginning

          "You hate me," She snapped.

          "No, no, no," Jared whispered, putting his arm around Angela, "I'm just saying we don't have to hang out with each other every day!"

          "Jared, I'm only here for the summer," She grumbled, pulling away from his arm, "You could hang out with those girls whenever you want!"

          "You're right," Jared sighed.

          Then a few seconds after Jared said that, two girls walked by, and waved at Jared. When he waved back they giggled and hurried on. "Always the ladies man," Angela scoffed, and then ripped the necklace off.

          "Gela, what are you doing?"Jared asked. Angela ignored him though, and gripped the necklace tightly in her hand. Jared looked at her with questioning green eyes. She smirked at him, and then threw the necklace deep into the woods.

          "Whoa, whoa," Jared yelled, "What did you do that for?"

          "I don't know," She snapped, "I'm angry!"

          "Come on, let's go find it," Jared yelled.

          "I don't want to find it," Angela cried, crossing her arms back over her thin chest.

          Jared looked at her in bewilderment. Angela spun around, and stormed into the house. She tried to cover her face, but Jared saw that she was crying. He thought that maybe if he found the necklace, he could make things up to her. So he took Chester by the leash, and brought him into the woods.

          Jared searched for the necklace for hours. It got dark, and soon his Mother was calling him inside. "Coming," Jared yelled, but continued to search for the necklace.

          "Jared Shay, you get in this house this minute," Maya called, "You're dinner is getting cold, and it's getting dark."

          "I'm not scared," Jared told her, as he picked up leaves. Chester sniffed around him, but they still didn't find anything. They worked hard to find the necklace. "Come on Chester," Jared whined, "We have to find it."

          They didn't find it though.

          "Jared," Angela called, "Are you out here?"

          "Gela, what're you doing out here?" Jared asked when he saw Angela walking through the trees and low branches to find him.

          "Your Mom was getting worried," She answered, "So I said I would come find you. What're you doing out here?"

          "I'm looking for your necklace," He answered, kicking a branch aside.

          Angela pressed her lips together tightly, and looked at Jared. "Why?" She finally asked.

          "Because I'm sorry," He confessed, "You were right, and I was wrong."
          Angela nodded, "I guess I was just jealous."

          "Jealous?" Jared asked, raising an eyebrow.

          "Yeah," She laughed, "They get to have you year round, when I only get to see you sometimes. How is that fair to me when you're my best friend?"

          "I'm still your best friend?" Jared asked.

          Angela gave a weak smile, and punched him on the shoulder. "Yeah," She said weakly, "We've been buds since we were in diapers. How could I let something as stupid as that ruin our friendship?"

          Jared gave her a warm smile, and opened his arms up. Angela smiled widely, and ran into her best friends arms. They hugged tightly, and took in the warm sense of each other's smells. The smells they had been used to since they were toddlers and discovered they had a friend right off the bat.

          "Come on," Angela said, "Let's go inside and eat."

          "What about your necklace?" Jared asked, "Chester and I haven't found it yet."

          Angela pouted a little, but shrugged. "It was my mistake," She told him, "I'll look for it tomorrow!"

          Still over the weeks Angela couldn't find it. She searched with Jared, and Chester, and sometimes she dragged Izzy along. They never found it though, and somehow that made a hole in Angela's heart.

          Soon the Nicolson family had to leave, and Angela promised she would be back over winter break. Jared waved goodbye, but didn't give up his search for the necklace.

          "Don't fret about it so much," Maya had said, but that still didn't stop Jared from searching. He found he liked the woods, and the little thrill it gave him to be there alone at night.

****************

(sigh) sorry again it's not longer:(

ps. this is NOT edited bc its being weird and not letting me scrolll down 2 edit :(