Chapter 34 - Dealing with Selfish or Selfless

Почніть із самого початку

I rest my forehead on the door and huff. Weighing out my options.

If I stay, Caleb and I may become something better than friends, and I get to experience something close to love and a happy ending, but what would it cost?

It would cost the safety of three people I care about; my step-brother, my other half and my best friend. Not only that, the empire will come after me, most likely being led by my father.

You can't leave the empire without a blood splat and live to tell the story another day. Marcel is a living testimony to that.

My incompetent ex would have a fit and come looking for me and let's not start with the nut case that is my step-father, Joey Torent.

Speaking of which, I still have more dirt on him, which will come in handy; when I get back to the Bahamas demanding answers.

I sigh.

I have to choose between being selfless or selfish. To be happy, protecting the people I care about or protecting the person my heart was slowly falling for.

I shake my head after mopping for a bit, my mind set on the decision that I have to make.

-

"Remind me again why you would not even at least give him a chance to prove his undying love for you?" I had no idea if Marci was mocking me or her brother. But I could tell that she mocked both of us.

After a quick shower, I skipped breakfast and led Gail and Marci into the awaiting uber towards the school.

I vaguely remember Shawn saying either he or his brother would come by for them for security reasons.

"Because, as you said this morning, I should let him down gently and what better way to do that than handle his fan base."

Marci rolled her eyes at me, "And she feels nothing for the blonde musician." She made her voice go a few pitches higher.

I glared at her. "Don't you have a class to get to?"

If I wanted to make this deal, I didn't want any witnesses around in case things went south or went ugly.

"Has someone ever told you that you are the best babysitter in the world?" She had a sickeningly sweet smile, but it dropped in seconds. "They lied. See you at home. Hopefully, we won't be nursing kits and ice creams."

She was the perfect combination of Dinah's teasing and Marcel's vile mouthing.

I followed Gail into her classroom and went toward her teacher. Miss Beatrice.

The woman was in her thirties and was easy on the eyes. She had her sights set on one of her pupil's brothers.

I was once told that all villains in our story had their motives if you chose to listen to them. Maybe, just maybe, you could come to see them as something other than the villains that they paint themselves as.

Take Klaus from the originals; to everyone, he's the hybrid monster who has no soul but to those that know him well. Klaus only does what he does; to keep the people he calls family safe. Even if he has to hurt them in the process.

Kind of like what I do, but I lack the whole sharp fangs and morale to plunge a knife into Danny's chest, but I once considered it one day when he pissed me off.

"Can we talk for a second?" I say, grabbing her attention from the test that she was grading.

She looked up, and even though her glasses' rims were thick. I could still see the traces of tears on them.