PART II

Roxanne hadn't been keen on returning home the morning after. Getting back to the hotel had been a quiet, agonising trip; Tatiana had been eager to hear all the juice on what had happened with Hvitserk. They'd dragged themselves up to the hotel suite that had been meant for her wedding night. No point in wasting it. Sally and Fiona had jumped into the shower and then buried themselves into the bed. Tatiana and Roxanne had climbed in together; nothing new for them. They'd spent most of college being the other's shadow. Late night drunken showers were the norm back then, cramped as they may have been.

Roxanne loved the shower in this place. Dual shower heads, a bench to sit on. "I never want to leave, this is incredible." She was curled up on the floor of the shower as Tatiana did similar beneath the other one. She was leaning into the water when Roxanne noticed it. "What is that?"

"What's what?" Tatiana asked, not looking at her.

Roxanne rolled her eyes and crawled over, looking at the dark ink on Tatiana's upper thigh, pointing at it. "That."

Tatiana glanced down, smiled, and then shrugged. "Oh," she chuckled, "well while you were having fun, so was I."

Roxanne just stared at her mouth agape. "That is what you considered having fun?"

"Yeah, he was hot, I got something out of it, so did he." So, they'd all gotten laid tonight. Roxanne laughed but inspected the small marking. Whoever had done it had a damn steady hand. It was high up on Tati's thigh, close to her hip nearly.

"What is it?"

"His initial."

"You let a guy you just met brand you with his initial?" Tatiana was chuckling, shrugging. She didn't really seem to mind that she was branded. Roxanne was more surprised; out of the two, Tatiana had always been the wilder but still, to let a dude brand her like that, it was just something so far out of left field.

"Only live once, Roxy. He was hot; dark hair, gorgeous blue eyes," Tatiana sighed dreamily.

Roxanne smiled, curling in under the water against Tatiana's back. Tatiana was right, they only had one life. Roxanne had originally thought hers was to marry Mike, and spend her days baking, maybe a few kids and now all that was thrown out the window. Well, some of it was. She still had the bakery; in a few months she'd be able to open a second one. Once she found the right location. Marriage now seemed so ridiculous.

"So," Tatiana pressed, leaning against Roxanne's back to nudge her. Roxanne blushed in response, knowing exactly what Tatiana wanted to know. She felt like she'd reverted to that shy little high school girl gossiping about crushes.

"It was," Roxanne trailed off, trying to find the right word. "It was unreal." Tatiana elbowed her in the ribs. "And that is all you're getting from me."

Roxanne pushed her hair back from her face, slicking it back and then scrubbing her face. She remembered Hvitserk as she did; the way he had brushed her hair back from her face as he'd leaned over her, holding it as he had sunk into her. She shivered at the memory of him against her. Roxanne was never going to forget that night, drunk or not, it was branded on her.

"Did you get his number?"

Roxanne's smile fell. No, she hadn't. She hadn't even considered the thought of getting his number, caught up in the moment of it all. What would she even do with his number? Text him awkwardly? It was a one-night stand. There was nothing more to it, no matter how much she had enjoyed it, it needed to fizzle out. She needed to get her post-Mike life started. Roxanne wasn't silly, she didn't have grand ideas of this somehow turning into one of those cheesy romantic comedies on Netflix where he'd come chasing after her. No, they lived hours apart. They were compatible for the night because they were opposites attracted. It was only sheer dumb luck that they'd even met.