5. Welcome to the Jungle

5th September, 1988

Nerves wracked, head held high, exuding confidence with every stride, Marlene walked into her first ever university class; Physics 141, Mechanics and Waves. Marlene knew she'd excel in university - she was the top of her class in secondary school in every subject except Ancient Civilizations. That bastard, Isak Nilsson. He finished with a 97 and Marlene had a measly 95. Pelle was a much different story, so Marlene kept her academic success and confidence to herself.

Being one of the first to arrive, Marlene had her pick at the seats. She chose one at the very front of the class. Oh, she was a major browner, but she didn't give off that browner impression. Even if she sat front and center.

Marlene got comfortable on the chair with the desk attachment. She felt a bit bad for the left handed people who'd have to do a 180 just to write their notes. With her legs propped over the desk, Marlene dug her book out of her satchel. The Portrait of Dorian Gray. Excellent book, Marlene fancied Wilde to be a genius.

Slowly but surely, the class began to fill. Friends sat side by each, but the entire class seemed to be quite spread out just yet. A person here, a person there, a trio there, Marlene there. Suddenly, like a spike, the class began to fill like a boat with a leak. There was less spread, with everyone suddenly searching for places to sit. Marlene didn't care, she was comfortable and reading her book.

"Mind if I sit?" Marlene looked up from her book, shaking the hair out of her face. A pretty ginger girl stood in front of her. With her head, she motioned to the seat next to Marlene - the one sort of blocked by Marlene's Converse. Quickly, Marlene dropped her feet to the ground and closed her book. "Thanks," the girl beamed. Marlene smiled at her. "So, what's got you in for Physics?"

"I wanna be a professor in the future."

"Physics professor?"

"Right on the money, Ginger," Marlene grinned. The girl chuckled, putting her hand over her mouth in a very dainty way. It struck Marlene as...a modest gesture. When her hand dropped, a golden crucifix drew Marlene's attention. She nodded. "What's your deal?"

"Oh, I want to be an astrophysicist," Ginger replied. Marlene chuckled while putting her book back in her bag, trading it for her textbook and notebook.

"I was referring to your jewelry. Catholic? Christian?"

"Raised 7th Day Adventist, but I'm not too sure anymore, if I'm being honest," Ginger told Marlene, getting her own books out. Marlene smiled. She related to Ginger on that level at least. "All I've really got figured out is what I want to be. Can't be working at Oppegard forever."

"Oppegard?" Marlene's interest was struck.

Ginger smiled broadly, nodding adamantly as students continues filing into the class. "Country club. My dad owns it. He says I've got a job there forever, but I don't want to be a food manager till I die, y'know?"

This time, Marlene was the one to laugh. She let a snort out and leaned back into her chair. "Fuck, I'd kill for a job right now. My parents have been up my ass about it since I first got here."

"I'll talk to my dad tonight. I'm sure we can work something out."

"You don't ha-"

"It's alright. I can help you out, so I will," Ginger smiled back, cutting off Marlene's protests. A smile grew on Marlene's face. Ginger was extremely nice. Marlene really wanted to be her friend. After Even basically friend dumped her after the party (avoiding her calls, not answering his door), Marlene was in need of friends. Especially female friends.

Marlene extended her hand to Ginger. "Marlene Ohlin, your new bestfriend in the entire world."

While shaking her hand, Ginger laughed. "Noora Magnusson."