The Moor and the Estate of Tea

Start from the beginning

"So boys, how was your break?" Came the generic question from Mr. UK's mouth.

"It was fine." Russia mumbled. "We stayed at our family home."

"Oh, very nice." France smiled. "America told us that you would be returning here two days early. I thought maybe you would like to come over."

"That's very thoughtful of...you." I felt so uncomfortable talking to France in the singular second person form. Why didn't English have a formal second person form...

"Do you enjoy the school?" Mr. UK asked.

"Yes, it's been my dream to be accepted," I started. "And so far, I very much like it. It is as educational and resourceful as I had imagined." I was careful in leaving out how Czechia threw me dark looks and how Croatia fainted in Andorra's Philosophy class. That was unnecessary information. Mr. UK nodded at my words.

"How about you, Russia?" He turned his gaze to him.

"Eh, honestly, I did not think I'd make it. I thought I would try to, but it wasn't a serious intention. Until I got in, of course." Russia said, a bit nervously. "Now, I'm starting to look over options and maybe looking into switching career paths."

Mr. UK was mildly surprised. "Oh, and what would that be?"

"It's not a large rift from my original plan. At first, I thought I'd get my four year in mechanical engineering and go to work in my father's factory. Now, I'm thinking of moving to maybe a Master's degree in naval engineering." Russia stated.

"Interesting." He nodded. "And you, Germany?"

"Um, I'm looking into the economics field actually." I said. "At first I was interested in chemistry, but it became very confusing, very fast. Even though it's important, I still would rather pursue a career in the business field."

"I understand." He told me to my surprise. "I, myself, wanted to become a professor of classical history. I ended up becoming an executive accountant. A banker. So I must say, our stories don't look too different."

"Mhmm." Was all I could say.

"I never figure out what I wanted to do." France cut in, poring herself yet another glass. "At first, I loved theatre, and I majored in it. Then, fashion design and then visual arts. I even sculpted in the recent years. So, I've been drifting in and out. Oh, and I love to cook." She smiled. "Speaking of which, I prepared a dinner that I have to say, is foreign to me. You must tell me how I did." She stood up and led us into the kitchen. She must've worked her heart out on the dinner. A large seared rack of lamb with an array of boiled potatoes and carrots was the centrepiece of the table. A number of small salads were arranged along the table. I recognised vinigrette, a beet, pea and mayonnaise Russian salad, along with a neat carrot and cabbage sauerkraut. Next to me, Russia was obviously and openly staring at the food. No matter how good times were, he was always amazed when a particularly large amount of food was concentrated on one table. War children. France called for Canada and he came down shortly, in a regular light blue long sleeve shirt and khaki pants.

"Bon appetit," Mr. UK motioned us to the table. Russia murmured a hasty prayer, and soon we were all eating. For all the talk about first tries, France made accurate recipes. "Australia and New Zealand, our younger children are at an overnight camping trip. That's why there is an absence of usual chatter."

"I have a little brother too." Russia smiled. "His name is Kazakhstan. He's very sweet and chatty as well."

"It's actually better without them," America said, even though his father pursed his lips tightly. "They would ask awkward questions." Nobody spoke after his comment. Actually, nobody spoke until Mr. UK asked Canada and America to clear the table and set up tea. I could see clearly that America rolled his eyes when his father said 'tea'. Before there could be a conflict between father and son, Canada swiftly grabbed his brother by the scruff and gently hauled him away to prepare for the second half of dinner. The plates were replaced by pink napkins and the dishes with tea and little griddle cakes.