Chapter Thirty-Six

Wind in his hair, fresh air in his lungs, the freedom of the open road in front of him - that was more than enough. Today was a beautiful afternoon, with a warm breeze sweeping around his face, heating and cooling it at the same time. He knew now, in light of these past few months, to appreciate those kinds of things because they were the kinds of things that made the good in his life that much more precious.

Over these last few months, he'd gone from flailing through this president gig, stuck in a horrible, unhappy marriage, desperate to right the ship and get the club out of guns once and for all, and just in general, deeply unsatisfied with the state of his life.

It was amazing what a little bit of time and a kickass lawyer could do.

And so, thanks to time and that kickass lawyer, he was en route to the studio with a few of his club brothers right behind him. They had some business to take care of, and after that, he'd be counting down the minutes until he could go home and unwind on his couch, with a beer in one hand and the other wrapped around his old lady.

At the end of the day, that was the only place he really wanted to be. At home, with her. Always with her.

When they pulled into the studio's parking lot, he found himself grinning when he caught sight of that familiar silver BMW. He swung a leg over the side of his bike, adjusted his cut on reflex, and nodded to Opie, who fell into step next to him, as Bobby, Chibs, and Tig trailed behind them. Chibs and Tig didn't necessarily need to be present for this meeting, but Jax felt like it was finally time they saw their lawyer in action.

They wouldn't be disappointed.

The hallways of Sweet Productions were bustling as usual, which was always a good sight to see. Filming was underway - in a few places, it seemed, but Jax didn't need to get a look at any of the action, regardless of the strict rules instituted by the studio's lawyer, who really just had the actors' best interest in mind. And besides, he was already reaping all the fringe benefits he could possibly want from this partnership anyway.

They meandered down the hallway, headed for the conference room Allie had given him directions to earlier, only slowing their steps when the club's lawyer materialized about thirty feet away. She tucked some dark hair behind her ear with a huff, resting a fist on her hips when their eyes locked. Even in her high heels, she was more pocket-sized than anything.

And, he noted with a slow smile, she looked pissed. Really pissed. And he found himself rolling his bottom lip underneath his teeth in response.

But still, her current mood also meant he was in a little bit of trouble now too.

"You're late," Allie called out to them, irritation flickering across her beautiful face. She crossed her arms over her chest, and he half-expected her to start tapping one of her high heels impatiently.

At least he had the good sense to wince. They were five minutes late, but for her, it might as well have been an hour.

"My bad, Attorney Levy," he called out to her lightly, holding his hands up in defense as he approached her. "I'm not gonna make excuses for somethin' there's just no excuse for."

Allie's lips curled into an annoyed smile. "Uh huh. Better not happen again, Mr. Teller."

"Or what?" he shot back. "You gonna drop me as a client?"

She narrowed her eyes ever so slightly, and hitched a hand onto her hip as she shifted her attention to the other club members who flanked him. Bobby seemed to waver a little, shifting from side to side, as he waved apologetically to her. Chibs and Opie followed suit with their own round of waves and apologies. Tig just winked at her.