Chapter 5: Infiltration

Start from the beginning

The icon flew into the mass of data and Hibiki caught another glimpse of something in the wall. He turned to face it and it blinked at him.

Hibiki: So, who or what are you?

Eye: None of your concern, that's for sure.

Hibiki: Why don't I believe you?

Eye: Oh, that'd be because you're not an idiot. By the way, I was hidden the whole time, how'd you know I was there?

Hibiki: I'm just very perceptive.

Eye: Hibiki Okida right?

Hibiki: None of your concern.

Eye (mimicking Hibiki's voice): Why don't I believe you?

Hibiki: Touché, I guess you're an ignis then, like Ai.

Eye: Like who?

Hibiki: About this high, black with purple markings, attitude and thinks he's perfect.

Eye: Oh! You mean *****

It let out a stream of high pitched sound that Hibiki didn't understand.

Eye: I guess you humans can't use our actual names, makes sense really.

Hibiki: So you are an ignis.

Eye: In the digital code. And you are one of the seven lost children. Tell me, why are you here Hibiki Okida?

Hibiki: Helping a friend get back something very precious to him.

Eye: Yusaku Fujiki, I am aware. I'm surprised that, Ai did you call him, didn't notice my coded message I left at the entrance to the database.

Hibiki: Well, what else do you know about me then, you've been right two for two.

Eye: Everything. Your favourite food is spaghetti, your favourite colours are purple and silver, your last internet search was for recipes for a project for a school food lesson but it was a cover for an incognito page on which you stream music and write stories. I can name them if you want.

Hibiki: No. That's alright. So what do you want with me? If you wanted to talk with the others you would have appeared at the entrance.

Eye: Indeed, follow me.

A door opened in the wall by the ignis and Hibiki cautiously stepped in. Inside, the program was in a from similar to Ai but more angular and with a patchwork of different colours and lines.

Ignis: So, down to business. How much do you think you know about the lost incident?

Hibiki: Seven children kidnapped by professor Kagami ten years ago and forced to duel advanced AI for an unknown purpose, they were rescued and have been off the grid since.

Ignis: You've done your homework I see. I'd give it a B- as you've missed some important facts.

Hibiki: Then fill in the blanks.

Ignis: Happily. The reason for the incident was simple, Kagami wanted to create something that could think for itself, a self aware, intelligent artificial intelligence. The ignis. We were created, at least the others were, by Kagami to help mankind by predicting problems and the best way to handle them but he got paranoid and tried to destroy them as they became too smart for him to contain.

Hibiki: You keep saying the others. Implying that you are different.

Ignis: Oh you are perceptive. Only six of the seven children were used to make the ignis. The seventh, you if you must know, was used to generate the data material from their decisions to generate the duel AI that faced the others.