Chapter Thirty-Four

Beginne am Anfang

"Liar," he scoffed, walking into the loft and she sighed closing the door behind her.

"Shouldn't you be helping hunt for Stiles?" She asked, and he raised his brow as he fell onto the sofa.

"We both know I would rather not," he joked, and she rolled her eyes as she took a seat on the sofa beside him. It was silent for around three or four minutes and they were the longest minutes of both of their lives. "You know...can I tell you something?"

"Hmm, yeah course," she offered turning to look at him.

"I think...I think you're the only person to care about me or my brother since we were born," he admitted, and she fell silent. What was she supposed to say to that?

Finally gaining her bearings, she slowly reached out taking a hold of his hand, "do you want to know a secret? Somedays I don't really feel cared for either." He frowned looking to her, "but that doesn't mean that when I get home there isn't going to be someone there waiting for me... I want you to know that both you and your brother... I'll always wait for you."

"Even Aiden?"

"Even Aiden."

"On his worst days?"

"Especially on his worst days," she assured, and a small smile formed on his face, "come here," she urged moving to hug him.

"Oh, no, I'm not the hugging-I'm not the hugging, no, no," it was too late as she'd already thrown her arms over him and after a few seconds he melted into it and accepted it for what it was, "okay, I suppose this is alright..."

A smile formed on her face as she tightened her grip on him, "I think you pair just need some mama love in your lives," she teased pulling away.

It was hours later when Derek finally returned, although he was confused as to what he encountered. Both Hayley and Ethan were sat on the sofa talking each-other to sleep although she seemed far more gone than he was. Both of them turned to look at him trying to figure out what he had to say.

"Well?" She asked.

"He's okay, he's at the hospital now," he assured, and Hayley nodded as Ethan stood to his feet.

"I'm gonna go. I've got school tomorrow," he yawned out.

"Bright and early," she reminded, and he nodded leaving the loft. Derek walked closer until he was stood in front of her.

"What was he doing here?"

"Keeping me company. Do you know the twins have some emotional issues as well? I think I saw the most human side to them than I have in..." she cut herself off with a yawn, "16,000 ... no that was before... since we met them," she trailed off.

"I think you need to get to bed," he mused and she nodded slightly pushing past the weight of her aching and tired body to hold her hands out to him. "I think someone's been taking lessons from a baby."

"Someone has, now carry me," she urged, and a smile quirked on his lips as he picked her up.

"You doin' okay? You smell sad," he pointed out.

"Be better in the morning..." she trailed off her eyes already conjuring spells to get her to sleep.

"Alright, you go to sleep then," he mused as he reached the bed and he set her down. Like an instinct, she rolled over grabbing onto one of the pillows and bringing it closer to her for a hug. It was like she was replacing him with a pillow.

Keeping Talia on her hip, her eyes softened as she watched Stiles and Scott through the window. Due to the extreme circumstances of the previous night, Stiles had to have an MRI scan and they all knew what they were looking for. Frontotemporal dementia, the same thing that killed his mother and none of them had any words to say.