Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

"I could beat you unconscious and wake you when it's over..." Peter offered, drawling his voice as he swung his head over to look at Stiles.

"You think Erica's really dead?" Stiles asked again.

"You think I really care?"

"One of them must be dead," Hayley said and Stiles looked over at her confused, "think about it logically. The amount of stuff we've gone through a leading figure in this mess has to die at some point. It's illogical and defying all science and statistics for none of us to die if we're all fighting the supernatural realm all the time," she reminded and Stiles froze slightly as he realised the truth behind the words.

"I just... I don't understand the bank, though, okay? Wha... Like, why wouldn't they chain them up in some underground lair or something? They're an Alpha Pack, right? So, shouldn't they have a lair?" Both Peter and Hayley looked over to him confused as they tried to figure out what he was thinking about now.

"They're Werewolves, not Bond villains." Peter reminded.

"Wait a sec, wait a sec-- maybe they're living there, you know? Like, maybe the bank vault reminds them of their little wolf dens!"

"Wolf dens?" Peter asked.

"Yeah, wolf dens! Where do you live?"

"In an underground network of caves hidden deep in the woods..."

"Whoa, really?"

"No, you idiot. I have an apartment downtown."

"Do remember who's apartment you're stood in now," Hayley added on as she stabbed the fork into the cake again.

"Okay, fine, but still, that just proves that there's something up with the bank. And why wait around for the full moon, huh? Why not just kill them whenever they want to?"

"Maybe they think it's poetic," it was clear to say that the young Stilinski boy was beginning to annoy everyone, although Hayley was used to his obsessive speaking and so she wasn't particularly bothered. At some point you learn to block them all out and just do your own thing.

"They've already had three full moons to be poetic."

"And here, you've only had one full hour to be so annoying-" Peter cut himself off as he realised what Stiles had said and a new thought conjured in his own mind.

"...No, go ahead. Finish what you were saying. I'm an-I'm annoying? What were you gonna say there?"

"What are the walls made of?"

"What?" Stiles asked, as Peter pushed himself up to his feet and over to the table to get all the papers and documents.

"What? Uh... I don't know... Like, wood and brick, or..."

"No, the vault! The vault. The walls, what are they made out of? Where would it say that?"

"Metal." Hayley added on, having no idea as to what was going on.

"Doesn't say anything..." Peter muttered as he looked over another piece of paper, "Where... Where would it say the materials? The type of stone?"

"Oh! Oh, hang on. Yeah, here, hang on. It's gotta be in there," Stiles said as he held up a large book and both Peter and Hayley looked at it in dismay. Whatever was happening, she knew you weren't going to work it out before it was too late if they had to go through that.

Finally flicking to the correct page, Stiles skimmed the page before he slammed down on the paper, "there. That's it." He said and Peter peered over to it.

"Hecatolite..."

"That sounds poisonous," Hayley interjected, "or like the moon. Which one is it?"

"Get 'em on the phone!" Peter snapped, "call them, now!"

"Okay, why?" Stiles asked.

"'Cause Boyd and that girl aren't gonna kill each other... They're gonna kill Derek and Scott," Peter explained, and Stiles and Hayley looked to each other horrified before Stiles reached into his pocket and grabbed onto his phone.

Scott picked up fast enough and Stiles put it on speaker so that she could hear it herself. "Stiles, now is not the best time..." Scott said and they could hear slight clashes in the background.

"Scott! Scott! No, listen to me, okay? Look, you gotta get outta there. Look, the walls of the vault are made from a mineral called hecatolite-- it scatters the moonlight," Stiles explained, but Scott obviously didn't know what that meant.

"What does that mean?"

"Look, it keeps the moonlight out, okay? They haven't felt the full moon in months-" Stiles began, and Peter quickly nudged him out of the way having his own idea.

"Okay, think of it like the gladiators in the Roman Colosseum. They used to starve the lions for three days, making them more vicious, more out of control. Deucalion has kept them from shifting for three months, diminishing their tolerance to it," Peter explained.

"Scotty, they're going to be stronger-" Hayley began, and Peter cut in for a second time.

"More savage, more bloodthirsty... Scott, they're the lions! They're the starved lions, and you and Derek just stepped into the Colosseum."

Once the phone call had ended, both Peter and Stiles grabbed onto their coats leaving and Hayley sighed as she watched the door close again. Looking down at her stomach, a pout looking face claimed her as she tried to imagine what her future child would look like. "Looks like it's just you and me little wolf...again."

A strong ache soon shot through her like a wave and she gave a slight cry in pain as she gripped onto the table. It was like an excessively strong menstrual cramp which travelled through her lower back. Once the pain had died down, she glanced down at her stomach for a second time, "me and you are gonna fall out in a minute," she warned, "now please sit still whilst I finish this cake."

She didn't get any sleep that night. She'd spent the entire time feeling the occasional contraction usually an hour or two apart, and worrying about the pack. Including her brother, Derek, Stiles, Boyd and the mystery wolf although she didn't care about that mystery wolf too much since she had no idea who they were. She prayed it was Erica.

Rubbing at her eyes which were burning from how tired she was, she glanced up at the door as it opened revealing Boyd and Derek. Cora was hidden behind Derek although she hadn't seen her yet. A smile claimed on her face as she pushed herself to her feet.

"You're alright," she cheered wrapping her arms around the young beta and he quickly returned the hug, "we missed you," she added on as she pulled away turning to look at Derek who was covered in blood and his shirt was all torn up. "And you did something stupid again, didn't you."

"Hayley, there's someone you need to meet," he breathed out, and from the look in his eyes she was terrified about what he was going to say, "this is my little sister Cora," he added on and the girl stepped out from beside him. She was a little confused about how the young Hale was alive when they'd gone through the thinking that only Peter, Derek, and Laura had survived the fire but she didn't particularly care. She'd thought him saying she needed to meet someone was going to be worse than something which would provide happy news.

"Oh, thank god," she breathed out, "I thought you were about to tell me you had a wife."

A/N: No jokes as I was writing this I was thinking...why didn't they think about the door? The alpha pack had gotten in there, they'd gotten Cora, Erica, and Boyd in there, Allison and Deaton's sister got in there... how did none of them think about using the door? So I had to add it in because it's now caught in my brain how Stiles (who is portrayed since season one to be above average intelligence and whilst probably not genius level pretty close in his own fields of interest) didn't think about using the door.