Epilogue: No End In Sight

"What's wrong? You look troubled." Sicillian tried to give an assuring smile, but deep down, she was falling apart. She had to move on. She had no other choice.

"It's just this... This detective agency-" Dirk interrupted her.

"Oh, do you have some suggestions?" He quirked his lips into a happy grin.

"No." She squeezed her eyes shut, blaming the fact they were beginning to water on the stinging wind that had picked up. "I can't. I can't do this."

"Do what?" She didn't answer. "Come on Sicillian, can't do what?" The brit laughed nervously, the look on her face concerning him.

"I can't stay." His face dropped into an expression that could only be described as pure, unmarked sorrow.

"What? What do you mean can't stay, come on, let's go back inside and-"

"Dirk. You know how it is... I have people I need to help. I have to leave. The universe needs this." She explained slowly.

"What about what I need?" It was barely even a whisper. A question spoken with a breaking voice. "Because what if I need you here? What if I need you? Todd, me and Farah are only three parts of a group of four. You're the missing piece that we need to work-"

"I can't. I want to stay. Believe me, if I had a choice I'd stay in a heartbeat. But the universe-" The detective cut her off, almost angry. It was an emotion she'd never seen him express before.

"I don't care about the universe!" He took a breath. "We spent sixteen years apart. And now we're here together. That has to mean something!"

"I have to move on."

"No. No you don't. You can stay with us, you can be happy. Don't you want this?" Sicillian closed her eyes, not wanting to see the tears.

"Of course I want it. But it's not possible. I have to leave. I don't know when, but it's going to happen. Let's just appreciate how long we have left, hm?" She asked, managing to smile through the watering of her eyes. Dirk nodded, not trusting himself to speak in case he said something he'd regret. He leant down, slightly unsure of himself, slowly embracing the brunette. She returned the gesture cautiously, allowing herself to lean into him.

"I'm going to miss you. We all are." He whispered.

"I know."

They broke apart, Sicillian carefully raising a hand, brushing away a stray tear from his face. The blue eyed man looked down sadly. And then, something changed.

Their assuring smiles changed, twisting into worried frowns as they turned. A strong gust of wind blew a glossy sheet of paper in the direction of the American and the brit. Dirk reached down, picking it up. It was a flyer for a Lux Dujour tribute act. The duo looked up from the advertisement, to the tiled pillar outside the restaurant. The Hollistic Assistant fought the urge to scream.

Hugo Freidkin smirked in their direction, giving a two fingered salute.

Sicillian grabbed Dirk's hand on instinct, turning down the alley they were standing in front of, beginning to run. The pair made it about halfway up before they were ripped apart, men in military garb wrestling each of them towards a sleek, black car.

"NO! Dirk-" She tried to break free, but she never got the chance. A white cloth was placed over her face. She was vaguely aware of her friend reaching for her. She mimicked, their fingers connecting for a brief second.

The chloroform kicked in, and Sicillian Presque found herself in the hands of Blackwing again.

To Be Continued

[~ And that is the end of Icarus! Thank you all for reading, I hope you enjoyed :) I'll publish the teaser to the sequel in a few minutes and put the link below. It'll be up on my profile, and it's called Mr Sandman. Bye! ~]

https://www.wattpad.com/story/260868815?utm_source=android&utm_medium=link&utm_content=story_info&wp_page=story_details_button&wp_uname=Perpetual_Orion&wp_originator=HtQaDMt7x9GD6HNXuoM4xlDB%2FGpXYwtkpZfScy6k%2B%2B9cyFrGgPIarrm%2B74iTofa5A4sQ9u8xeaVlDp4T73UxOEBlPNEDH0BVQ%2FJC%2BRQgQfH%2BljndKmf6rN9Ths6tPS9s