He swiped some card he had in his front pocket over the little pad next to the door. A little panel underneath it popped open. Curiously she peered over as he placed his hand on the pad. It looked like a scanner she used on her printer at home. It beeped twice and another panel on top of where he swiped the card popped open. Jared removed his hand and as he did that panel closed. He leaned in close and spoke clearly.

“Jared Logan Montgomery”

“Voice recognition accepted, authorization code”

“Alpha, one, one, three, eight delta”

“Authorization code accepted”

She heard a click and then something scrapping as she watched the silvery glass doors disappear into the brick walls as they slid apart.  As they passed through the doors she noticed that those silvery little glass doors were fake. It looked like at least three foot thick metal doors were behind those. Well that did a lot to make her feel better. What kind of building was this that they had to have three foot think walls? What were they trying to keep out? Or more importantly, what were they trying to keep inside? What secrets was this building holding?

She stopped all of a sudden. She didn’t know why. Something stopped her dead in her tracks. A feeling of apprehension crept up the back of her neck. It made her hair stand on end. Everything in her body felt like it was electrified. Something was in here. Something dark. She could feel it. But no, she was being silly. Wasn’t she? Then why couldn’t she move?

Jared sensed Lydia has stopped. He turned and watched her. Her eyes had dilated and he noticed she wasn’t really focusing on anything. He prayed she could hold out just a bit longer. He knew she was sensing things she had no idea existed.

“Lydia,” he said firmly, “ Lydia, we are almost there come on.” He put his hand on the small of her back and felt like he was touching electric. He pushed her softly and she blinked a few times. She looked up at him not knowing what to do.

“Walk forward, we are almost there. I promise nothing will harm you.”

She looked at him again then shook her head.  Wow today was just one weird event after another.

He took the lead again and she followed him down brightly lit hallways. They were also very plain looking. White hallways with a yellow stripe about 3 feet up going down either side. The doorways lining the halls were grey. She should probably feel alarm, or fear or something like that but she didn’t. She believed Jared, believed she wasn’t going to be harmed.  She wasn’t sure why or how but she knew.  Thou she suspected she may be going crazy. No one just blindly trusted someone like that. It was insane.

They reached the end of the hall and turned left. More of the same looking hallways. After several turns, of which she lost track, they reached what looked like an elevator.

She was getting frustrated again. Why was this taking so long? And why couldn’t they just use one of the rooms towards the front of the building? And was did he walk so fast?  God this was ridiculous. Totally and completely ridiculous. How much longer is he going to have me walking around?

The elevators opened and she walked inside with Jared.  The doors closed and he pulled his card out again, swiped it and punched in a few numbers. The elevator jerked and felt like it was falling way too fast. She clutched the sides and looked at Jared with concern.

He chuckled, “That takes a bit getting used.”

Her anger flared. Finds it funny does he? She was sick of people laughing at her. She was sick of feeling like they were holding something over her head, dangling it like a piece of candy. What was she some kind of rat to jump at a bit of cheese??