Chapter 3

Note: This, is where (in my opinion) my writing improves a lot!

*A few months earlier*
Corey gulped loudly, trying to prepare for what was to come. But, how could someone prepare to die by a terrifying, yet beautiful warlock? He looked away from fearing not just for his life, but for his most valuable asset, which was being tightly gripped by the warlock. Her tone was angry, yet her cold stare was just that; cold.
"You better have a damn good explanation for what you just did…"
Corey tried to figure out what to say, but didn't have time to think. "I… I don't have an excuse… I don't know what came over me… I'm so sorry… that was one of the stupidest things I've-"
"Corey."
"Ever done in my life. That wasn't fair to you."
"Corey…" Her cold stare changed and her grip lightened.
"I didn't even ask for consent… I took… I took that from you and-"
She let go and pulled him close before pulling him into a deep kiss. He was taken by surprise, in too much shock to even pull back or resist. She was lighty blushing as she moaned softly into the kiss. Corey slowly closed his eyes and gave into the kiss and they held it for a while. Once they pulled back, she cupped his cheek and smiled.
"Look… it's okay."
Corey looked at her, dumbfounded. "What…? How is any of that 'okay'?"
"Well, I've done a hell of a lot worse. And… it could've been worse. I understand that you couldn't hold yourself back. I… probably would've maybe done the same, in your position. I can't just… waste my time staying mad at you… so don't worry about it so much."
"I… I don't know what to say…" Corey still stared, shocked.
"Don't say anything. And… I feel like… I can trust you… I don't just throw that around. So don't fuck it up."
"Of course," he smiled. "You have my word."
She smiled and nodded.
"What does this make us?" He asked.
"Hmm… well… friends with a secret link?"
Corey lightly chuckled. "So, friends with benefits?"
She giggled and nodded. "Yup."
"Alright. Well, I should probably head out. Was supposed to talk to Devrim about a bounty. So I need to get going."
"Alright. Catch you later, then?"
Corey smiled. "You bet." Corey got up out of the bed, got dressed and grabbed his gear. He gave her one more glance before smiling and walking out of her cabin. His ghost, Sly, appeared next to him as he walked.
“So… looks like someone had a fun time.” The little light chuckled as Corey rolled his eyes and summoned his sparrow. He eventually made his way inside the church and to Devrim, who was in the middle of having a cup of tea. He raised his cup and gestured for Corey to join him. The hunter nodded and sat in a chair across from Devrim.
“You’re later than usual.” Devrim handed him a cup.
Corey took the cup and took a sip. “Yeah, I got busy yesterday…”
Devrim put his cup down and propped his feet up on the table. “I noticed. After you picked up the bounty from me, you left and just didn’t get back. What happened?”
Luckily, Corey had his helmet off, so he could no longer hide his light blushing. “Had to uh… get help from another guardian.”
Devrim smirked. “I told you it wouldn’t be easy to do it all on your own.”
“Yeah yeah, whatever.”
“Corey, I’m serious… you may be practically immortal with the light but not completely… widen your circle of trust. Hell, maybe even consider putting a fireteam together. It wouldn’t hurt.”
Corey was silent. He was almost a bit angry with Devrim. Not that he said it, but the fact that he said it and knew the reason as to why Corey hadn’t put together another team. “Devrim… you know I can’t do that… not again… never again. I lost both of them… Viper… Misty… gone. Hell, I was lucky to even get my own damn ghost out… I’m not fit to be on a team, let alone lead a team. Not now… not ever.”
“Corey… that was two years ago… I don’t mean to speak badly or anything but… you have to move on. If you stay living in the past, you’re not going to go anywhere… you won’t grow. You have to keep moving. And I can confidently say that your team would want you to work with others but don’t forget them. Not to mention, I haven't seen you work with anyone in a very long time… it's time to move on… come back to reality, Corey. This isn't the origin story of some vigilante… this is the story about you… Corey Barnes. You shouldn't do this to yourself when we both know this is not what you want."
Corey was silent. He had been staring at his feet but slowly looked up. "... I want my next job."
"Corey… take a day off and-"
"Devrim, either you give me a job or I walk and find a bounty elsewhere." Corey started to get up.
"As long as you bring at least one person with you…"
Corey wanted to throw the nearest chair at Devrim but of course, resisted the urge. "Alright… who?"
"Another hunter showed up earlier today, asking for the last bounty I have, for now. If you're lucky, you can catch up to her before she goes inside the sector."
"Now I got competition. Great."
Devrim handed him the bounty note and Corey was off.