By Mere Accident

Hello, I hope you're all doing well. This piece was inspired by Karate Kid 3 but I got the idea from kubalova_a so thank you for the awesome input! Also, it's a helluva long scenario to cover but it's got a satisfying ending hehe  👀

Johnny had the city on his mind, not making a single stop as he sported around in his red Avanti with the formerly known Cobra Kai jocks.

It was the weekend that they would visit their families during their first year as college kids; they had all made plans, all except for Johnny, who didn't like meddling with the tension between his mother and his agitating step-father that would not and could not get off his case.

"Boy, that girl you saw on the street... I think that broad recognized you from the tournament last year. Did you get her number?" Tommy leaped forward, excitedly patted the head of Johnny's seat.

That made Bobby laugh. "There was no broad." A teasing curiosity then crossed his face as he eyed Johnny. "Was there, Johnny?"

A careless snort from Johnny let them know there was nothing to report.

Tommy bickered with Bobby about possibly knowing the girl. Still, Johnny was too cool for it, and his unfazed eyes made them a little skeptical. He most likely knew that landing chicks was a senseless thing to talk over when there was actually nothing to boast about. What was he going to land? What meaning did it have if he landed one chick, then the next? What would the third chick mean, and what was the point of having a third chick if you didn't even know her?

"No Golf N Stuff tonight, man?"

"Huh? Did you say something?" Johnny glanced at Bobby, who was speaking for the rest of them. He wasn't really sure how to put together a full answer for that; he must have missed the cue. Out of confusion, Johnny looked behind Tommy and Jimmy and saw that they passed the exit into Encino. "Well shit." He smacked his lip in regret, wearing a tiny smirk and glancing up at his rearview mirror to catch his friend's reactions. "You see, guys? This is why Bobby takes shotgun."

Tommy and Jimmy started up a small fit of banter about status, but as he took shotgun like always, Bobby could sense how far they had come from their fighting days with Daniel. He knew it probably meant a lot to Johnny to get back to some form of normalcy and acceptance, but it would take a lot to snap him out of his regrets.

They pulled into Tommy's driveway that neighbored his friend's houses, and Johnny cleared his throat, fixing a pair of sunglasses over his nose. "Night, ladies." he popped a chuckle.

Tommy waved at Johnny, "Sunglasses at night." he chuckled in acknowledgment.

Bobby nodded, "No worries about Golf N Stuff, Johnny. For later."

Johnny gave a short nod and a side smile. "Aye." He wished them well and headed out of the hills before anyone could end up seeing his distinguished blond hair and the spectacle of his bright flaming jacket. He huffed at the idea, turning out of the driveway and getting familiarized with a grasp of childhood memories. He sat in those afternoon bike rides, the solitary appreciation of the sunlight washing down on his hair, the control of the bike at his feet with all his weight and balance.

Like a smooth bike ride, Johnny could feel himself coming to a certain stop, pedals braking. He stopped in his tracks, not missing a single beat as he met eyes with the piercing stare of the All-Valley Sports Center. His lips fell far from being a chatterbox as he grew silent and slowly moved down his sunglasses from their comfortable place on his nose.

"Sweep the leg..."

"...You got a problem with that?"

"You're worthless, you're nothing, you're a loser!"