Chapter 51 : Promise

San's POV

I pulled Mirae into my arms, caressing her head. "Don't worry. It's going to be okay."

She was still sobbing in my arms when I saw Lee Hyunwoo reaching out for a gun. I quickly pushed Mirae out of the way before he could pull the trigger.

Luckily, Mirae didn't get shot. But instead of her, I got it. I stumbled back after the bullet pierced through my skin. I looked down at my stomach and touched the wound.

My hand was now covered with the red liquid flowing out of my body. I wasn't able to think straight then. Mirae held me as I was falling down.

I could hear her faint voice and tell that she was crying hard as she held me closer to her. I tried to say something but nothing came out of my mouth. I was slowly losing my consciousness too.

Mirae-ah, there's something I want to say to you. Thank you for being on my side when I needed someone the most. I'll remember every moment that I spent with you. And if this is our last, don't blame yourself for it. Don't cry too much...I love you.

I lifted my hand to caress her face but then I suddenly lost my consciousness.

***

Mirae's POV

"San-ah, come back to your senses!... Jebal!..." I kept shaking him but he wasn't waking up.

Soon Jiwoo unnie and the others arrived at the scene. "San-ssi..." Jiwoo unnie gasped. The others were also very shocked on seeing him like that.

"Please call an ambulance! Please call an ambulance quickly!" I said. More tears started rolling down my cheeks as the time passed by.

***

Jaehyun's POV

When I reached the scene with the others, I saw Mirae crying while holding San in her arms. Soon I realized that San was injured.

Then my gaze landed on Lee Hyunwoo who was trying to sneak away from there. I went to him and grabbed him by his collar.

"Where are you going, you jerk?" I said, lifting him up.

The ambulance was called to take San to the hospital. In the meantime, the cops also arrived. And I made sure to tell the cops to treat Lee Hyunwoo nicely in the police station.

After all the formalities, me and Seungwoo-ssi headed towards the hospital.

I just hope San would be fine...

***

Mirae's POV

I held San's tightly as we were taking him to the operation room on a stretcher.

"San, please hang in there...Please don't die!..."

I slowly let go of his hand as they stopped me in front of the room. I was just able to take a short glance of San's face before the doors closed. I crouched down, tears not wanting to stop streaming down my eyes.

This condition of San was all because of me. If I hadn't thought of doing something like that, then this wouldn't have happened. San wouldn't have been this hurt.

I don't want to lose anyone else...

"Don't worry, Mirae." Jiwoo unnie patted my shoulder. "He'll be fine." She comforted me with words but I still couldn't stop worrying about San.

Just then a doctor came out of that room with a nurse. I quickly stood up.

"How is he? Will he be fine?" I asked him.

"He has lost too much blood. But his pulse is back after using the defibrillator. So now we're preparing for his surgey."

By saying that, he walked away. I felt a little relieved after hearing that.

He'll be fine...

***

It's been four hours since then. I was patiently sitting on the bench which was beside the wall. Jaehyun, Seungwoo-ssi and Jihoon-ssi were also there, waiting for any news about San.

"He'll be okay, right?" I asked to Jaehyun who was sitting beside me.

"Of course...He'll be alright." He patted my shoulder.

"But you need to wash you hands."

I looked at my hands which were still covered with blood. I was so worried for San that I totally forgot about it.

"We all are here. You can go and wash up." I gave him a small nod and walked towards the restroom.

I washed my hands and was on my way back when I remembered something. I looked at the blood stains on my sleeves.

—Flashback—

"I just feel happy when I look at your face," San said. "So don't ever disappear in front of my eyes."

I nodded. "I won't. I'll always stay by you side and protect you. I'll knock them down with my high kick whoever tries to harm you."

He chuckled. "I don't need anything else as long as you're with me." He gave me a genuine smile before resting his head on mine.

I promise you San, I won't let anyone hurt you, not even Lee Hyunwoo. I'll protect you till the end...

—End of flashback—

I failed to keep my promise. I failed...

"Mirae-ah!" I turned back and saw mom coming towards me.

"Eomma..." I broke into tears.

"Mirae-ah, are you alright? I heard San got injured so I rushed to here."

"Eomma, I failed...I failed to keep my promise of protecting San. I thought everything would be okay but how I did made it more worse. What if something bad happens to San?" My voice cracked.

She pulled me into her arms. "No, don't say that. That won't happen. Don't say that."

"The surgery won't end. It's been over four hours..."

I was still crying when I heard Jaehyun's voice. "Mirae-ah!...The surgery is over."

"Huh?" I pulled back and turned to face him.

"It just ended...The surgery was a success and he's doing well."

I held his arms. "Really? You're not lying?"

"I heard it from the doctor himself. He's in stable condition."

"That's a relief..." I let out a deep sigh of relief but then suddenly felt dizzy and blanked out.

To be continued...