Chapter 7.1 Naked truth

Magsimula sa umpisa

Now it was his turn to face her. 

Behind him, the single lamp on the chest of drawers illuminated the sofa which Paolo had used earlier on to have a quick nap on. Which neither of them had bothered to fix.

They had both been careful in keeping up appearances since they had arrived. Before the room was cleaned, all evidence of sofa occupation had been removed. Just in case. Housekeepers had a habit of gossiping and gossip had a habit of spreading.

With one disarranged sofa staring her in the face, complete with rumpled pillows, Sarah felt her belly go into cramp mode. 

She stayed put in the doorway and linked her hands behind her back. Nervous and fidgeting hands told a story of their own.

"Well....." She yawned and took a small step backwards to psychologically encourage him to follow. 

He stayed put.

"Saan ka pupunta?"

"Pakiulit ng sinabi mo?"

"You're going backwards, Sarah." He reached forward and switched on the overhead light. In the same motion, he swung round and stepped aside.

Sarah reluctantly stepped into the room and followed the direction of his curious gaze. The sofa could not have shown more indication of its occupancy. Two pillows, still bearing the imprints of Paolo's head, cushions tossed on the carpet. As the final touch, a sheet carelessly crumpled down one end. 

The bed, on the other hand, was untouched.

"Well, well, well....." Matteo walked forward. He picked up the cushions and placed them randomly on the sofa. Then he turned to her and folded his arms. "Siguro may konting hindi pagkakaintindihan?"

"Nasabi ko na ba sa'yo na pagod ako?" 

"Maraming beses."

"Kung may kagandahang-asal ka ay alam mo kung ano ang pinaparinig sa'yo at aalis ka. Pero kapwa natin alam na ikaw at kagandahang-asal ay mga salitang hindi nagsasama."

She drew herself up and gave him her coldest stare, but her mind was a blank.

"So explain....." Matteo said.

"Walang dapat ipaliwanag. Gusto ni Paolo na mag siyesta at sa sofa niya napiling matulog." 

"Even with a queen size bed only feet away? Sinasabi mo ba sa akin na masokista ang kapatid ko?"