"Oh no— nothing. We just thought it was such big news... mommy dearest rising from the dead and all." Damon shrugged it off.

"Yeah— I guess so." Adeline replied, looking at everyone's faces trying to read the room. She felt like everyone knew something she didn't.

Adeline took another sip of her coffee and stared out the window. They tried to make small talk, but everything felt forced. This was how they normally hung out, usually everything was effortless and fun.

"Well would you look at the time?" Damon announced. "We need to get going."

"Oh okay..." Adeline forced a smile. As much as she wanted to know what was going on, she didn't want to deal with the awkward encounter any longer.

Damon and Elena walked out the front door, giving Adeline a small smile before heading to the car. Adeline reached out and grabbed Stefan before he has a chance to get away.

"Stefan, what's going on?" She asked, hoping to get an honest answer.

"I don't know what you're talking about— nothing is going on." He smiled.

"You would tell me, wouldn't you?" She questioned.

"Yeah—" he paused. "Yeah Addy of course." But he didn't look her in the eye when he answered.

"Okay, well see you later then?"

"Yeah later." He smiled.

*****

Adeline walked to the mystic grill, she wanted to get some lunch and see Matt. She knew he was working today and it had been along time since she really talked to her friend. She was curious about how he ended up going to the ball at the Mikaelsons with Rebekah of all people.

She walked inside and headed straight for the bar, Matt was behind the counter cleaning out cups. He was the bar back— since he wasn't old enough to be the actual bartender.

"Adeline, hey!" Matt smiled, he looked genuinely happy to see his friend. At least she now knew, whatever was going on with Elena, Stefan and Damon— Matt had no part in it.

"Matty!" She smiled. "How've you been?"

"I've been good— what about you?" Matt asked. "I mean, since your dad."

"I'm hanging in there. The house is lonely now though." She admitted. Her friend gave her a sympathetic look and placed his hand on hers, stroking it gently.

"I'm sorry Addy." He shook his head.

"I know— I'll be okay." She sighed. "So, what's it going to take for you to serve me something a little stronger then soda?"

"Nice try." He smiled. "I need the job."

"Okay fine— how about a coke then?" She laughed.

"Coming right up!" he smiled and headed for the glasses.

Adeline leaned up against the bar, waiting for Matt to come back with her drink.

"Hello love." Klaus smirked, walking up beside the blonde.

"I didn't know you were here." She smiled, looking over at him.

"Just walked in— perfect timing I supposed." He flirted.

"I guess so."

The pair stared at each other, and Klaus placed his hand on top of Addy's hand, that she was resting on the bar counter.

"I had a nice time last night." He admitted.

"Before or after your attempted murder of my friend?" She teased.