SIX

The next day they climbed up the side of Mount Rainer, with Stefan carrying Ray slung over his back. After a little torture topped with wolfsbane, Ray had no choice but to give up the location of his pack. He was smart, at least somewhat smart and knew Klaus would never leave him alone until he did.

There was not a single word spoken between the original hybrid and Adeline since the night before. She would glance over at him coldly and he would do the same but neither of them dared to say a word.

Stefan had picked up on the tension around them and figured it has something to do with Klaus almost letting her get murder but still he didn't like it. He didn't like the way Klaus looked at Adeline, it made his skin crawl. But for now, he had to ignore it. They had things to do. Stefan knew his best shot at him and Adeline returning home was to help Klaus get the Hybrids he desired.

"What the hell is going on?" Stefan questioned. Rays eyes were dripping with blood and it didn't seem like his transition wasn't going as planned. Klaus's face tensed with anger.

"This isn't right." He muttered underneath his breath, shaking his head and pressing his fingers against his temples. "This shouldn't be happening!" He shouted— his voice rang so loud it echoed off the trees.

Stefan and Adeline glanced at each other, both coming to the realization at the that Elena being alive may have something to do with Klaus's failure.

Klaus looked up at the sky and yelled at the top of his lungs. It was a cry of frustration— a cry of someone who thought they had it all figured out finally after decades of searching but was wrong.

One of the hybrids in transition took off when Klaus was preoccupied with his own emotions. They sprinted down the mountain at a speed so quick Adeline could barely see them. The veins popped out of Klaus's face and his knuckles turned white as he clenched his fist at his sides.

"I'll get him." Stefan offered.

"Fine— but you better not try and make a run for it." Klaus warned.

"Come on Addy." Stefan gestured toward the blonde standing off to the side of chaos with her arms crossed over her chest.

"No." Klaus sternly protested. "The girl stays."

"It's dangerous right here— with all these rabid hybrids." Stefan said, giving Klaus a pointed look.

Klaus became a blur as he moved towards Stefan and gripped his shirt.

"I think I'm more suited to protect the girl then you." Klaus breathed through gritted teeth. "Afterall, I am an original and you're just.... you."

Stefan remained hard as stone standing in front of Klaus, neither of them wanting to be the first to break the stare. That was until something clearly caught Stefans attention.

"Fine." He tossed his hands up in defeat. "I'll just go."

"That's what I thought." Klaus mocked and Stefan took off down the mountain side.

*****

"What the hell are you doing here?" Stefan slammed Damon against a tree— waiting for a response from his idiotic brother. "You can't be here. For one, Klaus will kill you if he sees you. Two, it's a full moon and these woods are full of wolves!"

"Show a little gratitude brother. I'm here for you— and Adeline of course." He replied. "Where is she anyway?"

"With Klaus, just up the mountain." Stefan spoke lowly. "And I think you would have a better chance stealing me away from Klaus then Addy."

Damon gave his brother a confused glance. He wasn't sure what he meant. Klaus surely had more use of for vampire, especially one known as the ripper of Monterey then he did a ordinary girl.