"Because I saw a girl worth trying for."

"What about me was worth anything?"

I shifted, setting Electra up on the bed. I wrapped the blanket around her, cocooning her in it. We were sitting directly in front of each other.

"Electra, you had my attention on that first day. You were reserved and quiet. I wanted to get to know the girl underneath the surface, under that façade. True, there was way more beneath the surface than I had ever imagined, but I think the same went for me.

"You're strong and you don't take crap from anyone. It's true that you've done some awful things in your past. Everyone has a past though, and everyone has varying degrees of darkness that hide there. The only thing you can do is try to move on. You're strong. I know you can do it."

Electra bit her lip looking down at the bed. I could tell there was so much racing through her head, so many thoughts that were haunting her but she was keeping them inside.

"You should get dressed. Come out and eat, okay?"

Electra nodded slightly and I kissed her forehead before getting up to leave her alone. When my hand grabbed the doorknob to pull it open, Electra spoke up again.

"Jared," her voice was barely audible, but my ears picked it up. I turned toward her again. Her eyes were bewildered; she looked like she was having a hard time believing what was going on, or what she was about to say.

"I- I love you."

My mouth dropped open and I closed it quickly. I wasn't sure what to say to that.

Were the words true? Or perhaps they were brought out by what happened? I wasn't sure how to tell. I didn't want to run out on her without saying anything, but I also had no clue what to say. I wasn't sure which would be worse.

But I couldn't leave her, not like that. And she was being particularly forthcoming with information at the moment. She was giving me a perfect opportunity to figure out if her words were true.

My hand dropped from the handle and I went back, sitting in front of her, my eyes searching her face.

"Do you? Do you really?"

Electra's brows pulled together in confusion, and she looked so vulnerable. Her eyes were constantly moving, not able to keep still on one point. I could see everything turning in her head; through her eyes I could see her mind trying to work through everything.

I felt a slight pang. Maybe she didn't really feel that way. Maybe it was just something she thought I wanted to hear. Maybe it was something from her earlier breakdown that made her think she did, but now she was realizing the full force of what she'd said. Maybe she was trying to think of a way to take it back.

I hoped she did mean it, because in that moment I realized that I loved her. I wanted to be there for her, to be strong for her, and to protect her. I wanted her to feel safe and loved because she was; she was so loved. Not just by me, but by her brother and sister, her family.

"I-" her voice was so quiet, just a breathy whisper.

Her brows pulled together further as if she was concentrating hard.

"I think I do. I don't really know because I've never felt like this before. I feel comfortable around you, more comfortable than I've ever been. I feel like I can be myself around you, my real self. I don't have to carry any weapons because I trust you completely. You're the only person I trust completely."

Electra's lips pursed into a thin line, it was obviously a revelation to her.

"I trust you completely," she said again slowly, testing the words. "I could never do anything to intentionally harm you. I could never turn you over to those people; especially not after everything I've learned. I would do anything in my power to keep you safe. I know that doesn't mean much coming from a human, but it's what I would do for you."