|picture-perfect family|

"Caleb! Carson!" Mum yelled. I rolled over and yawned, opening my eyes. Today is the day I've been waiting for. I'm finally 16 which means I will shift and receive my wolf from our Moon Goddess. I'm beyond excited... I peered over at Carson with a big grin. He was white as a sheet. I jumped off my bed and rushed over to him. "What's wrong?" I fretted as I sat on his bed. He sighed and shook his head. "Come on, tell me?" I urged.

Carson is my twin brother. He nearly died when we were 10. A rogue got into our pack and took him. He was gone for hours before he was found on the borderline. Carson never repeated what happened to him, but whatever it was, shook him up to the point he stopped speaking. The only way he will communicate is through mindlink and even then it's one-word answers or short sentences. I wish he would tell me what happened, all I want to do is help and I feel useless because I don't know what's going through his mind. Ever since he has been a nervous wreck. He hates crowds and he doesn't like any social gatherings. Hence his reaction right now, it's our 16th birthday and our parents have made a huge deal about it.

"I don't want the party." He whispered through our link. I sighed and draped my arm around him. "Stick with me. I won't leave your side." I muttered and he bobbed his head. "Well, come on. We need to see what mum wants before she comes up and drags us downstairs." I grinned at him. He chuckled a little and a genuine smile appeared on my face.

We made our way downstairs and into the living room. "Surprise!!" Everyone clapped. My eyes darted around the room and I scowled. The living room was nearly full... My dad's Beta and Gamma were here with their families. "You know Carson doesn't do well with crowds." I snapped through the link with my parents. Carson had backed away and I could feel his body shaking behind me. "You could have warned us," I grumbled. "Don't be silly. It's your birthdays, I thought he'd grow up a little and enjoy himself." Mum snorted back. I covered my hand around Carson's and squeezed.

"It's ok. It's your day too." He muttered. I turned and furrowed my brows at him. "No, it's not ok. They have two sons, they should meet your needs too." I sighed through the link. "Happy birthday, boys." My dad slapped our shoulders and grinned at us. I forced a smile and tightened my hold on Carson's hand.

My dad is the Alpha of our pack, The Yellow Stone. He's retiring when I'm 18 so I can take over. He said I'll take over with or without my mate. They want Carson to be my Beta, he's exactly who I would want by my side if that's what he wanted but he doesn't... And our parents don't listen or they just don't care.

"If they say anything to you... Block them out and tell me immediately." I instructed Carson, glancing back at him. He nodded and fixed his gaze back on the floor. They have no time for him, they don't try and help his condition. They make things worse by calling him names and saying he should get over it. I have caught our mum hitting him before because he wouldn't talk to her. I think she knows more than she says but when I ask Carson he shrugs and says everything is ok. I try and not to leave him alone with anyone, I make sure I'm always close by. In public, we are the picture-perfect family but behind closed doors, we are anything but. 

Things will change when I become Alpha, all I need to do is keep Carson safe and happy for the next 2 years then everything will change. I took a deep breath then made my way over to the sofa, tugging Carson with me. Mum sat down leaving only one space beside her. I rolled my eyes and went to the chair on the opposite side. I signalled for Carson to sit. When he did, I perched on the arm. I glanced over at mum and she rolled her eyes at me.

"Go sit with mum," Carson said as he looked around the room with weary eyes. I shook my head when he glanced up at me and he gave me a stifled smile. "Are you excited to receive your wolf, boys?" My dad's Beta, Oliver asked. I looked over at him, "Yeah we are. I'm excited to see what colour we are." I responded, smiling at him. "Oh, please. You're going to take after me, Caleb." My dad smirked. "He on the other hand will probably take after his mum." He added pointing at Carson. I rolled my eyes then glanced at Carson. "We're twins, I reckon we'll twin in wolf form too." I chuckled. 

"There was a time we couldn't tell you both apart." Mum sighed, having a distant look on her face. I knew what was coming next... "But now... we know you talk-" I grunted and turned to our dad. "What time does the ceremony start?" I asked. Dad glanced at mum who was scowling at me, I stifled a laugh and focused on dad again. "Eight pm. Your shifting should start around half eight as that's when you were born." He smiled. I nodded and smiled back. "Ok. So, we'll meet you back here then." I announced standing up. 

"Wait! Where are you going?" Mum asked, standing up and coming over to me. "We have plans with our friends." I shrugged as Carson cowered behind me. "He can go." She whispered through gritted teeth before looking back at me. "It's a special day for you, my love." She cooed. I shook my head in disappointment. "You have two sons, mum," I whispered back, she paled and looked around to see if anyone was listening. I rolled my eyes as she glared at me. "I'll see you all later. Come on, Carson." I nodded at everyone in the room and pulled Carson in front of me. I placed my hands on his shoulders and marched him out of the room.