part xxxviii - what could have been

Start from the beginning

Y/n ran her fingers along the sink's intricate engravings- they were snakes coiling their bodies around the faucets and handles. Y/n smiled as she looked back at Nagini -who was perched behind her- for a second, then turned back to finish her mission.

After a brief moment of hesitation, she began to recite the incantations. The same incantations she had heard coming from the mirror many times before, and while she was still hesitant on how well she could imitate him, by the sudden sounds of pipes moving and concrete shifting, she was certain she had done it.

Nagini's eyes stared intently at Y/n, almost as if to ask: How?

Y/n shrugged. He talks in his sleep.

The journey down the rabbit hole ended abruptly as she felt her feet hit the stone floor hard. She navigated through the darkness of the tunnel until she reached a large circle gate, which seemed to stand between her and what she needed.

Open, She managed to hiss in the foreign language as the lock seemed to slide open and the gate welcomed her inside the chamber.

Each second seemed to only confirm her and Fleamont's suspicions: Tom Riddle was the heir of Slytherin. Her prophecy had all made sense now; it seemed to be some sort of ridiculous way for the universe to end their ancestor's feud.

For someone who values privacy so much, you'd think he'd keep his diary locked up while he's asleep. Y/n sniggered to herself as she recalled the many restless nights she had stolen his book for this very moment.

Then, she sensed it creeping up ahead of her. Y/n covered her eyes quickly, her muscles suddenly tensing. She didn't think she'd get this far.

Wand firmly gripped in her hand, Y/n stood still for what felt like hours. She hadn't planned out this far, in fact, she wasn't even sure what she was doing here in the first place.

Basilisk, kill the basilisk. She repeated to herself, but her body refused to move.

Nagini, now aware of the imminent danger her owner was in, hissed loudly and managed to fend off the larger beast for a brief moment.

Do something, you fucking idiot! Y/n smacked herself on the forehead and lunged forward, random attack spells fired from her wand. Nagini, who, for her small size compared to her foe, had managed to make two deep cuts but the Basilisk was far from backing down.

Suddenly, the larger snake lashed its fangs out and dug it into Nagini's side, causing a loud yelp to escape from her mouth. Y/n stopped in her place as Nagini's poor cry for help echoed through the empty chamber, and all she could feel was the sudden rush of anger that coursed through her.

"Fiendfyre! Fiendfyre! Fiendfyre!" Y/n shot the spell everywhere, hoping one would hit the Basilisk, which it did. She heard another loud squelch and peeked through her eyes, finding the large snake withering madly. It lashed its body back and forth as it reacted to its sudden blindness, and Y/n took this opportunity to grab her injured companion and run.

As the flames from her spell began to consume nearly every inch of the chamber, its elaborate statues, and well-kept beast, Y/n tossed the diary of Tom Riddle into the fire, watching the orange and yellow hues burst the book into a ball of light. She turned and dragged Nagini's body back through the tunnel, her face drenched in sweat and a satisfied smile etched across it.

Thinking only off of pure adrenaline and paranoia, Y/n ran to the only place she could think of.

--

Nagini was wrapped in bandages and coiled up next to the fireplace as Y/n lied on her back. The Room of Requirement looked much different this time, which she assumed was because of her dire circumstances.