"You need to change and clean up." He breathed, trying to be kind to the grieving girl.

"I can't." she muttered, staring at him with a lifeless expression. The light that Klaus was so used to seeing behind her blue eyes was gone—she looked empty.

"Adeline, you must." he insisted. "You can't stay like this."

"I'll help her." Elena interrupted.

Klaus stared at the Gilbert girl for a moment. He never liked Elena for several reasons – one being the fact that he found her annoying but two being she always seemed fake to him, selfish even.

"Fine." He reluctantly agreed and left the two girls in the bathroom alone.

*****

Two weeks had gone by since Adeline found her father murdered on the kitchen floor. The funeral came and went—it seemed like a blur to her, she was numb. She spent most of the days sitting on her bed in her room. She didn't move—she didn't eat. Bonnie, Elena and Caroline were over every day. Someone always spent the night with her, usually one of the girls and Stefan. He wanted to protect her – to make sure Katherine didn't come back.

Klaus left town the night after her father was found. He was tirelessly searching around for Katherine. He wanted to find her and tear her heart from her chest. He regretted not killing her when he had the chance—this was the pay back he received for showing any kind of mercy.

Elijah found Rebekah and interrogated her about her idiotic reasons for murdering an innocent man out of jealously and spite. It turned out Katherine lied, Rebekah wasn't working with her, all she did was drink with her and party. She let it slip after getting drunk one night about her suspicions about the way Klaus felt for Adeline, about her kissing Stefan and then Katherine saw the two of them outside Adeline's house. She knew she found her way at revenge—Klaus killed her entire family and chased her for years.

"You need to eat." Stefan said, sitting a plate down beside Adeline.

"I can't." she whispered.

"Adeline—please you have to try." He insisted.

She tried to eat the food Stefan brought to her, she had a few bites and that seemed to satisfy him enough to keep him off her back—for now.

"I'm getting tired." She admitted. "I am going to try and get some sleep."

"Okay—if you need anything." He started.

"I'll let you know." She interrupted. He said the same thing to her every night, it had become a routine.

Sleep hadn't been coming easily to Adeline. She took Tylenol P.M. most nights—not because she had a headache but because the sleep aide was the only thing that kept her asleep.

After Adeline had been asleep for a few hours—Klaus jarred open the window to her room and let himself in. He stood at her bedside, watching her sleep, consumed by guilt. He felt responsible for the grief she was feeling, if he could have left her alone and stayed away, maybe this wouldn't have happened but that was impossible for him.

He gently slid his finger across her cheek then left a small box tied neatly with a bow on her nightstand. He took one last glance at the blonde before climbing back out the window.

******

When Adeline opened her eyes the next morning, all she felt was pain. This was how it had felt every morning since her Dad's death. She rolled over and tried to force herself back to sleep – sleeping was the only escape from the pain. But instead, a dark blue box tied neatly with a white bow resting on her nightstand caught her attention. She sat up and reached over to grab the box—unraveling the bow so she could see what was inside. She read the note that came with it first.