𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖊𝖓

Abike patted the spot beside her and Inioluwa slowly walked towards her before sitting. Inioluwa fiddled with her fingers as she wondered if she was ready for what her mother was about to tell.

Abike let out a sigh before averting her gaze to Inioluwa. When they both had eye contact, Abike began her journey down memory lane.

"I was eighteen years old when I got married to your father. I remember the first time I saw him in the village, he was so proud and pompous, almost brutal to the villagers because he resided in Lagos." Abike paused a little as she let out a small chuckle.

"But when we met each other in the market square, everything changed. We both knew we were supposed to be together and it didn't take us too long to get married. After marriage, I relocated to the city. I was so overwhelmed that it got me home sick but he was always by my side; teaching me proper English, the culture of the city and business making as a whole." Abike looked at her daughter to be sure she was listening and Inioluwa confirmed with a small nod.

"After almost five years of marriage, we had no children. The in-laws came knocking, the community wondered what was going on, even my own mother accused me on infertility and frankly, I asked myself that same question. Another two years passed and still, we had no children.

"Then one day on our annual visit to the village, my cousin– Jibola, do you remember her?" Abike asked and Inioluwa nodded, wanting her mother to continue on.

"She suggested that I met with Baba Ade. She told me great tales of all the women and families he had helped. I was so excited about the idea and the very next day, I met with him. He told me about Orisa Ife, it means Goddess Ife. He told me that she was the giver of children and she could help me, only at a sacrifice. Eagered, I told your father about it but he didn't like the idea. I remember him saying that we should wait on the Lord, that He would do it but…" Abike was about to say more when a cough interrupted her. She coughed out rounds before gaining compusure.

"...but I was too stubborn, too tired of waiting, too tired of all the insults and mockery. I wanted a baby and I wanted it fast. Behind your father's back, I performed the ritual. That night was the worst night of my life, I was terrified but too blinded by my impatience to see the devil I was about to meet. She responded well and even granted me by request but there is always something to give." Abike stopped as her gaze drifted afar, as if lost in deep thoughts.

"Maami, what did she do?" Inioluwa asked, snapping her mother back to reality.

"She took your father. After years of happiness and even bringing another child to this world, she took him. He was the sacrifice and for all these years, I didn't know. My heart ached when I realized the truth, I can recall crying and pleading that she brought him back but it was too late. Now, she wants you back." Abike explained but Inioluwa still found this hard to believe. It seemed strange, she had thought her father died naturally and now, she was hearing that he died as a sacrifice…

"Maami, there's no way that Orisa Ife would have me after taking baami. She'll go through hell before she does." Inioluwa blurted, anger and a hint of bravery evident in her eyes and her mother stared at her disbelievingly as she thought her daughter would cry or question her Christian virtue or worse, regret being giving birth to by her.

"Inioluwa, you belong to Orisa Ife of Araba village. She's back and now, she wants you. She wants you Ini and she won't b-back d-down." And at that, Abike broke down into tears. Inioluwa had her own fair share of tears as everything her mother said settled in. She sat nearer her mother and did something that her mother found unbelievable. She wrapped her arms around her mother and pulled her towards her chest as she rubbed her shoulders.