☾ twenty - five ☾

Start from the beginning

Seeing the look of torment on his face, it seemed he was truly apologetic.

Still, on the bright side, I was able to learn about the rumors going around thanks to him.

'It's troublesome, but if I just leave those rumors alone, it may pose trouble in the future...I'll need to look into them.'

I forced a smile to show that I was all right.

"It's alright. I can just find another partner, so please rise."

"Oh...are you an angel?"

"Pardon?"

His murmur was rather absurd, that I even doubted my own ears, so when I asked him to clarify, he hurriedly added, "Ah...I-I meant that you are very kind like an angel."

'Hm...to think a character like me, who is clearly a villain, would be called an angel.'

Others would have laughed at the thought, so perhaps this man was just exaggerating because I forgave him.

"Still, I can't help but regret how it turned out. This is truly the biggest mistake of my life."

It was obvious why he was going so far with such a burdensome apology, you don't want me to tell my father.

'But I have no plans of telling my father even if you didn't go this far.'

Burdened by the guilt-ridden expression on his face, I was going about to tell him that it was okay, but he continued in a somber voice.

"More than anything, I worry that my rashness may have offended you."

I was starting to get tired of his excessive apologies.

"It's really all right, I was able to learn about the rumors at least. Thank you for coming all the way here, Lord Rowain."

"Thank you for your forgiveness, Lady Floyen." He said with a bitter smile.

Just when I thought he was going to take his leave, he suddenly leaned in and whispered softly. "I was upset to hear that I wasn't qualified...but I feel comforted by your kindness, milady."

'Huh? Not qualified?'

I was about to ask him to clarify what he meant.

"In the future, would you like to–huk!"

He was in the middle of asking me something when he suddenly cut himself off, clamping his mouth shut.

Turning pale, he seemed to be staring out the window behind me, a terrified look on his face.

'What's wrong with him? It looks like he saw something he didn't want to see.'

I turned around to check but didn't see anything in particular that would have drawn such a reaction from him.

"Lord Rowain, what's wr–"

"Lady Floyen, I apologize for my rudeness, but I must be on my way immediately." He interrupted, standing up in a hurry.

"What?"

It was considered rude for a guest to suddenly leave before the tea was even brought out.

I stared at him in bewilderment.

'You've already done a discourteous thing, but to think you're about to add another to the list...'

"I forgot I had urgent business today. It's all because I'm incompetent...please forgive me." He said with a miserable voice and ashen-faced.