I vowed a long time ago that I wouldn't stop until I figured out what made us the way we are and why... according to legends our curse is called Vampirism and one becomes a Vampire by being bitten by one. But we weren't bitten and until that Thursday June 13th 1348, we would have never even believed that Vampire's existed.

Whatever or whoever made us this way never came forward after all these years but I've made it my personal mission to find them, implore them to reverse this curse-allow to me live instead of just exist.

And I will find them... if it's the last thing I do.

-

"Colby, we're going hunting, you coming?" My brother pokes his head in my room and asks. I sigh and shake my head. I wish I could be more like them, happy and free.

"Nah, I think I'll sit this one out... maybe next time." I offer. He gives me a knowing smile.

"That's what you said last time, and the time before that and the time before that and the time before-"

"Alright!" I playfully shout, cutting him off. "Get out Drake." I grab a pillow off my bed and throw it at him, he catches it before it hits him and throws it back at me, it successfully connects with my face and I fly back against my head board. "Ow!" I shriek and rub the back of my head.

"You'd be this quick if you'd come hunting with us one weekend, Colb."

I roll my eyes and shrug. "It's not really my thing."

"I know that you don't like our situation, that you've never liked what we are, Colby," Drake comes in and takes a seat on the bed next to me "But it is the life we've got baby sis, nothing we can do to change that." He places a hand on shoulder. "For what it's worth," He pauses as his lips curl up into a smile. "I'm glad that I get to spend an eternity being your big brother." He winks at me and stands up. I can't help but smile at him.

"Fine." I call out to his retreating figure. He stops at the door and turns around.

"What?" He questions.

"Your little speech worked, I'll go hunting with you guys." He smiles.

"I have no idea what you're talking about Colby, I was just-"

"Yeah, yeah." I smile back at him. "Save it." He shrugs and grins, then leaves my room.

I can't remember the last time I went hunting with my dad and siblings. I usually make up some excuse to get out of going; avoiding embracing what I am as much as possible.

I pack a bag and head downstairs to join my family in the car. We drive up to the mountains and unload everything from the car. We set up camp; giving the humans the illusion that we're just a normal family out on a camping trip. Truth is we don't need any of this stuff; we don't have to sleep or eat or keep warm by the fire; but we need to make people believe we do.