Part 51: Elijah's motives

Comincia dall'inizio

The world turned gray in my eyes, as if to look down at me. 

Nothing felt happy anymore, not even the birds chirping out the window. 

For a villainess, it was far too greedy to want to keep everybody to yourself. 

But I only wanted Onii-sama back. 

Was this considered being too greedy? 

Was this wish far too hard to fulfill? 

The villainess never deserved anything, so was this a way to punish me even farther? 

I turned my head back. He couldn't be out of sight, right? 

"Heehee! Mr Villinie, you're so kind and funny!" 

"Why thank you, Lady Castria. Its a pleasure to be entertaining to you." 

Thoses voices.............they couldn't be, could they?

I turned to stare straight ahead again, forcing my neck to swivel back. 

I was curious, but I knew that there was nothing to be wondering about. 

The facts were there, plain and unconcealed. 

If I were to confirm my suspicions, then that would be hurting myself even more. 

'But don't I still have to practice for the tournament?' 

My mind drifted to the unborrowed books lying in the library I was planning on reviewing once I came back. 

'How could I forget? I have to study medical books in order to win this contest. No, it simply won't do if I don't start studying right now.' 

I paced my legs even faster.

'In the end, my goals are to survive, aren't they?'

A forced encouraged smile spread across my face. 

'You'll make it Roselyn, I know you will. Something like this shouldn't even make you waver.'

Lies, lies, lies. Deep inside me, I knew they were all lies. 

I wanted to shut this pain off. Anything, any excuse, would work. 

'Please, somebody.........anybody................I know this is selfish of me.........but I want this pain to stop............'

"Lady Roselyn, I've heard of your arrival. Its nice to have you back at the acad— Are you quite alright?" 

Perfect

Just perfect timing, my dear Crown Prince. 

I didn't realise how long I had been crying for, lowering my head like that just in case somebody would pass by. 

So naturally, I lifted my head up when I heard my voice by reflex. 

Now the key player in this whole game had seen my pitiful appearance. 

"Pfft!" I let out a muffled laugh. 

"Isn't this funny for you, Albert? You must enjoy seeing me suffer like this!" 

I smirked at him, then changed my expression to a glare. 

I strolled past him, head held up high. 

He should know that I still haven't given up on my goals. 

"Lady Roselyn? Whatever could you mean?" 

I couldn't tell if he was truly sincere from his tone, but my instincts told me that they were mocking me. 

"Ha!" 

What a joke. 

Albert, either you know we both know you're messing with me, or you must think I'm too dumb to understand and took it literally. 

Part of me hopes its the latter, but we both knew I wasn't that much of an idiot. 

However, Albert being open about his relationship to me didn't seem right. 

It wasn't until after the tournament that the couple were widely accepted. 

Roselyn was too dumb to notice, or perhaps she did but didn't think Ivy as a threat until it was too late. 

I assume the reason Albert wanted to keep it hidden was because the whole reason they were engaged was because of their high status. 

Is Albert challenging my status for an earl's daughter—if Ivy was telling the truth—already? 

Ivy hasn't even made herself big yet, so did Albert want to risk it because Ivy's status had significantly improved? 

Quite a bold move. 

Even if she were an earl's daughter, one in the mid ranks, it simply wasn't a match for mine. 

My father was the leading power in this country after the King, whether you wanted to accept it or not. 

No, this didn't make sense.