The Girl

It was a girl?

The small girl tucked her knees to her chest and put her hands up by her face, attempting to block the bright light of Mono's flashlight away from her face.

"Oh, sorry," Mono whispered to the small girl, turning the flashlight off and away from her, the only light emitting was the moonlight from a small barred in window high up on the wall. Mono looked around, looking for a way to let the girl out, when his eyes placed upon the wooden part attached to the metal bars. Without thinking, or warning, Mono took out his hammer and began to smash the wooden part until he was able to crawl his way through. Hearing the hammer hitting the wood had scared the little girl even more, and she clutched her knees even tighter to her chest, burring her face in them as well.

Once Mono made his way passed the bars, he swiped the little wooden pieces and chips off of his brown coat and walked into the middle of the room. He knelt down, facing the bed where the young girl hid under. He placed both knees on the cold, hard floor and held out his hand to the girl. She slowly crawled out from under her bed, cautiously making her way toward him. Mono held out his hand to the girl, which scared her, causing her to flinch back a bit.

"I won't hurt you," Mono exclaimed, quietly to the girl, his hand still held out to her. "I promise." The girl got closer and closer, Mono could feel his heart racing faster to closer she got. Then all of sudden, the girl stood up and ran off, accidently knocking Mono over in the process. Mono's heart and stomach both felt as if they were going to fall out at any moment, he just laid there on the cold floor, catching his breath.

Once he was finally to get his start rate down to a normal pace, he stood up and searching around the room, the girl was gone. Mono knew he couldn't just leave her there, she would probably die. He squeezed back out of the door back into the hallway, making sure the Hunter wasn't anywhere near. "Psssst," Mono called out, hoping to get the girl's attention, and only hers. He looked down the hallway, at the last door on the right which had also been cracked open. Not remembering hearing her go down the stairs, he decided to check the final open door that was upstairs.

Mono grabbed his flashlight from his pocket and slipped his body through the crack in door, once again. Once he arrived in the room, he turned on his flashlight, shining a bright light around the room. This room was filled with more run-down boxes and mold climbing up the walls as well. Mono cringed in disgusted, until he saw a small figure tucked into the corner of the room. He flashed the light on the floor by her, careful to not blind her again. He knelt down next to her and she lifted her head up to face him, still tucked in a ball. She had black messy hair that covered her eyes and nose, only showing her pale skin and thin lips, she was skinny and wearing a gray sweater, even though the lighting and filth of the room made it appear a blue-ish color, and it seemed to be too big for her, and she also wore no shoes, just like Mono.

Mono placed the flashlight down by his side and held out his hand once again to the girl, careful not to scare her off once again. The girl let go of her knees a slight bit, he could tell she was considering. "Come with me," Mono said. "We can get out of here." The girl looked up and nodded, grabbing his hand. Mono smiled under his brown bag mask. "Let's go."

Mono grasped onto the girls hand, dragging her behind him as he ran. Their hands let go as Mono and the girl slid their way through the door, back into the hallway. Mono started walking towards the stairs and slowly made his way down them, looking back every once in a while to make sure the girl was still close behind him. When the two made it down the stairs, Mono waved a 'follow me' to the girl behind him and led her to the door he had entered from, but it was closed, and the handle was too far up for them to reach.