16

The last few days have been somewhat interesting. I spent time with my mother, whenever she had a break from meetings. Her advisors were freaking out since a council with other leaders was requested. I was trying to get out of it, but my mother decided that I'd be attending as well.

Hailey has been the one making me feel comfortable in this new environment. She'd be the one to deliver my meals throughout the day. I'd always depend on her to fetch me for dinner with my mother and return me back to my room. She's also been a great outlet to rant to.

What makes her extra special is that she was able to help me speak to Nyx every night. Hailey would make sure the advisors never passed by during my nightly visits. Also, no guards were ever in sight during that small window.

"How about this one?" Hailey held up a kimono.

"Umm... not sure how to put it on."

Hailey waved her hand to dismiss me. She instructed me how to stand as she wrapped the robe around my frame. She expertly tucked the clothing into the right places. Hailey backed away to assess her work.

"Are you sure you're an advisor and not a maid?" She laughed at my question.

"I can be any title you want me to be. But, if I'm being honest..." She tightened my sash a little. "I was personally requested to look after you during your stay."

"Requested by who? Not that I don't like having you around or anything." She laughed at my rambling. "Did my mother ask?"

"Your mother and girlfriend." Hailey smoothed out the last bit of fabric. "Done!" She turned me around to view myself in the mirror. "You look beautiful!" She rested her chin on my shoulder and beamed.

I was a bit distracted by the thoughts in my head. When did Nyx speak to her and why did she request Hailey? She clearly trusted Hailey, but what history did the two of them have?

A knock sounded on the door, interrupting me from my thoughts. I glanced at Hailey who had a knowing smile on her face. I walked to the door and gasped at Yuna. I gave her a tight hug.

"I missed you! Where'd you go?!" I hugged her tighter.

"Sorry, I was away for so long. I went to visit my family and since we live in the countryside, it's a bit of a distance. I know Hailey has been taking really good care of you." Hailey smiled and left the room to give us some privacy.

"That's cool. I just missed you. It's nice to see a familiar face, not like the others aren't nice or anything. Hailey and Alex are cool, Roman is quiet, but I don't think Ellio particularly likes me."

"Ellio doesn't hate you or anything. He's probably just worried what the council members are going to say." I groaned and flopped onto my bed.

"I forgot about those people. Mom wants me to go to the meeting today, but I'm scared. I don't wanna go!"

"That's why a familiar face is perfect for uncomfortable situations. I'll be attending as your personal guard." She shot me a wink. "We should probably get going. Wouldn't want to make a bad impression by being late." She took my hand and guided me down the halls.

"Anything I should expect?" I perked up.

"Only advice I could give you is to shut your mouth and don't speak unless the Queen asks for you to reply. Your mother will be doing most, if not all, of the talking on your behalf." We walked arm in arm now. "As to what you should expect... the council members are rigid and practically inflexible. There will be a total of 14 council members, including the royal advisors. Your mother sits at the head and listens to their suggestions. If there's a tie, she'll settle it. She tries to run the council like a democracy, so even if she's not the most thrilled, she'll support the decision."