Chapter 2

It was a cool, crispy fall morning at the middle school. The building, which had once been a proud high school, was beginning to show its age. Now tasked with serving as a middle school the wooden framed windows, which barely closed sent a draft into the building to which the aging boiler system could not keep up with. This combined with the 1960's paint job which was starting to curl, flake and revel the 1950's paint beneath, gave the school an exhausted, tired look. However, for Josh this was not the feeling.

Stepping off bus 46 the young man flipped his backpack over his shoulder and shot a smile at his friend Norman. "Today's the day" explained Josh as the pair headed inside. Norman who was slightly taller followed after his friend. "Dude, how do you know? I mean what's your plan?" Josh continued walking toward the gym where the other students wait for the morning bell.

Together the friends walked across the creaking hardwood gym floor and to the aged, wooden bleachers. As he sat down, Josh pulled his backpack off his shoulder. "You see Norman; I have been dropping secret admirer notes in her locker for a week". "Now" continued Josh, "I have something that she will love, chocolate!" Norman's eyes followed his friend's gesture to his now open backpack which he held.

Deep inside the blue backpack Norman saw a long, slender box that read Russell Stover, Gourmet Chocolates on the end. "Whoa" whispered his friend, "I've never seen a box of candy like that". Josh shot his friend a smile and nodded, before zipping his backpack closed. "Yes, I saved up to get it and I chose the best to show Brooke that I like her".

Norman smiled at his friend and shoved his shoulder playfully. "You've got more guts than me. I cannot even look at LeAnn, let alone give her a box of candy". Josh chuckled at his friend. Deep down Josh's brain was racing on a safe way to give his crush the box of candy, without revealing who he was. Ideally he wanted to see her reaction, as that would gauge his next move.

Soon the bell rang and the group of kids left the gym and began heading to their classes. Both Norman and Josh were 8th graders, so their classes were on the second floor of the school. Together they walked up the groaning wooden stairs that was quickly filling with students.

Once upon the second floor the pair continued talking. Norman looked over at his friend and noticed the white and maroon sweat suit, peaking from under his overcoat. "Game today" questioned Norman. Josh gave a nod as they continued walking, "It's a home game, I think it's Vine Middle". Norman nodded "That will be a crazy game! I heard they are undefeated too". Josh nodded in response, "yeah whenever we play Vine it's a tough game. Place will be packed too. Are you coming?" Norman thought a minute and shook his head, "I doubt it. My dad won't get home until late, and mom doesn't like basketball".