Prologue

Prologue

It was a hushed night, as always. The ground above their heads grumbled from time to time, sprinkling dirt and dust on everything below. Creatures passed by above, searching and listening. But this group was used to it, knowing to remain still and smother their fear. Anything else might be their death.

A woman tucked a little boy into his makeshift cot. The child wasn't hers, but one placed with her through tough circumstances. He was without parents and she was without her children. Despite the times, the two of them were alive and sheltering underground until it was safe.

Would it ever be safe? She wondered with a sigh. A man rustled in his sleep nearby, taking her from her thoughts. Another person who'd fled underground with a back story of their own just to end up housed in silence with strangers.

"Will you tell me a story?"

The woman looked down, catching the boy's eyes. As expected, weariness wasn't present. It was hard for everyone to sleep, even those oblivious to the severity of the situation.

She knelt beside him, offering a meager smile. "As long as we keep quiet, I will tell you one story," she whispered, a pang stabbing at her heart. Once, it was her children she'd go on magical adventures with before bed, watching as their eyes closed in the mist of the tales. All she had now were memories.

The boy's eyes twinkled, holding a spark of interest. For him, did this give him a sense of normalcy? Did it take away from what was happening? Could a simple story do that, even if for a moment? She hoped so.

"I want you to close your eyes so you can see the story as it Is intended." She saw his fear and smiled again, this time less forced. "Don't worry. I'll listen and keep watch." He held onto his hesitation for several seconds before allowing his eyes to close.

She already knew what story to tell him. Not one filled with princes and dragons, or kittens and puppies. No, this story was about a brother and his sister, inseparable at once. This story was about the very reason they might ultimately die. She would tell him the story of Fana and Kreo.

"Once upon a time . . ."