"What do you mean by that?" Damon questioned.

"I'm — I'm not sure yet." Stefan admitted. "There is just something ... off about Klaus."

"Well duh— the ancient guy is certifiably insane." Damon scoffed.

"I'm serious Damon." Stefan growled, slamming his brother up against the tree once more. "You need to leave. I will protect Addy— I will get her home when I can but for now, leave Damon."

He wanted to argue, he wanted to put up a fight to save his brother and bring him back with him now. He could see the shift in his eyes— he could tell he was on human blood again and close to losing himself but he could also tell he was serious. He wouldn't come with him, no matter what Damon did.

"Fine— but you two find a way home soon brother." Damon breathed.

*****

One by one the Hybrids Klaus attempted to sire began to bleed profusely, unable to feed and then— they died. A pile of dead, lifeless bodies laid amongst them. Adeline turned her head away. She preferred to look towards the mountain then spend another second staring at the blood and mess Klaus made.

"It just doesn't make sense." Klaus muttered under his breath, walking around the bodies with blood tripping off his chin. The ones that didn't die on their own— he killed. He ripped there hearts out and slung them to the ground. They were uncontrollable, an abomination. They weren't like Klaus, his transition was seamless.

Klaus was right— something was wrong.

"You know something." Klaus suddenly spoke, directing his words at Adeline. He rushed up behind her, grabbing her shoulders and forcing her to face him.

"What?" She questioned, her voice was shaking. Of course she knew something. She knew Elena was still alive and she knew that was probably the reason behind the failed Hybrids. It was in this moment she was thanking her lucky stars she had been ingesting vervain and not just wearing it as a bracelet.

"You know something." Klaus repeated. "I am not a fool. I saw the way you and Stefan looked at each other when my hybrids began to fail." He stared Adeline down, searching for an answer in her expression. He knew he couldn't compel her, not with how she drank vervain. He would have to change that soon. "Unless it isn't that you know something— maybe it's that Stefan and you have been fucking in secret. Is that what the stolen glances are about?"

Adeline'a blood boiled with rage, she didn't like Klaus suggesting she would simply fuck anyone. She was not that kind of girl. She also wondered what it mattered to him if they had? She wanted to slap him, to deny it but she also didn't want him to think she knew something about the hybrid failure either. That could be worse— that could put Elena's life back in danger.

"So what if we were?" She provoked. "That's none of your damn business."

Klaus was ready to explode. He was ready to show his emotions and put it all on the line. The thought of Stefans hands on Adeline made him hot with fury. The thought of them together, under his roof made him want to rip the head off Stefans body and watch the light fade from his eyes.

"I guess I was wrong about you." Klaus replied, coldly— there was no emotion left in his eyes. "I thought you were a good girl— a girl with self respect. Turns out your no more than a slut who fucks her friends boyfriend before her body is even cold."

Adeline lifted up her hand and swung it towards his face, ready to slap him but of course she wasn't quick enough. Klaus wrapped his hand around her wrist, stopping the blow from reaching his face. He squeezed her arm inside his hand, digging into her skin and closed the gap between them until he was inches from her face.