XII

^Amelie's room
________________________________

ʟɪɢʜᴛ. ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴀs the first thing I thought when I felt myself stir awake. Light.

My head was pounding like a nasty hangover and my eyes, even though they were closed, burned. I wrapped myself up in my sheets, silk and soft like I was floating in the clouds. How could this be my dorm bed? It wasn't my dorm bed.

I opened my eyes to find a blinding brightest burst through my vision and I pulled back scrambling in the sheets. Once my eyesight settled, I looked over my surroundings. This was 100% not my dorm room. No. It was a room fit for a princess. Colours of cream, white, silver and gold swirled around me with hints of grey, in front of my lied two sheer, white curtains hanging between pillars, leading to a small living room. The bed I was in was huge with soft white sheets and gorgeously fluffed pillows.

Then I remembered.

I had died. I had slipped and felt death itself grip me by the hand and drag me into the dark, numbing void of nothingness. Was this heaven?

I reached over to my bedside to find my glasses lying in perfect condition, however as I slid them on my whole world became blurred. That wasn't right. I took them off to see everything clear as day. Placing them back on, everything went into a havoc-ing blur. What in the Spiderman?

Scrambling out of bed, I stood to my feet only to fall and slam into the floor. Looking down at my body, I realised my attire from last night had been changed. Instead of the tight, red dress, I wore a simple nightdress made from white satin, spaghetti straps that kept falling down my bare shoulders, with a neckline trimmed with lace. Who would wear such fancy clothes to go to bed?

Just as I used my hands to pull myself up, I heard a door slam open and a scurrying of footsteps run my way.

"Miss!" a voice urgently called after me. The slippered feet stood before me and I looked up to see a woman with gaunt skin, brown-green eyes and honey brown hair tucked into a bun at the back of her head, messy bangs fell across her forehead and to the sides to frame her face. Her face was sick with worry as she bent down to help me up. She was strong but looked only a few years older than me.

"Go get her something to eat!" she ordered, what I assumed were the other women in the room, and helped me back into bed.

  I could hear and feel everything. The way the silk sheets tickled every individual hair on my arms, the covers warming the pores in my feet. Outside there were birds chirping from miles away, a squirrel gnawing at a nut. All my senses were on hyper mode.

"You should have called as soon as you woke." The woman said kindly. "How are you feeling?" I looked the woman in the eyes to see nothing but a stranger.

"Who... Who are you?" I managed to get out. My throat burned.

"Pevensie." She answered. "Your Lady-in-waiting."

"My what now?" I didn't have time to get an answer as the doors opened and three other young women came rushing in with a tray of food.

"You must be feeling slightly disorientated right now, you've been asleep for over week!" Pevensie lightly chuckled and walked over to the tray to plate me up some food. She walked back over carrying a plate of toast with scrambled egg and an array of fruit to the side with yogurt drizzled on top.

"It'll feed your stomach for now." She poured a cup of tea, "And this should subside your cravings but I'm sure you'll want His Royal Highness, Vincenzo, with you for the real feeding."