Chapter 85: 0259-S

Start from the beginning

Steve nodded slowly. ''Yeah, just like that.'' He and Carol shared an understanding look. Both of them ready for this.

Natasha straightened up, determination in her voice as she spoke louder towards everyone in this room. Katya hadn't seen her so fiery in weeks. It reminded her of the woman she married. ''Even if there's a small chance that we can undo this... I mean we owe it to everyone who's not in this room to try.'' She gave the hesitating people a wakeup call, asking them why they were even hesitating. There was no debate here. 

Katya joined her wife in this display of confidence. ''I agree. We need to fix this. Whatever it takes.'' Natasha nodded and smiled at her. It was one of the few times that had happened after everything.

''If we do this, how do we know it's gonna end any differently than it did before?'' Bruce questioned. They were slowly winning him over. 

His words spread fear through everyone, because he was right. Why would the odds be in their favor now? But it wasn't like it could end any worse than last time. It wasn't like Thanos could snap half the Universe away again.

''Because before, you didn't have me,'' Carol spoke like it was no big deal, her hands on her hips. Everyone turned to her and Katya smiled at her spirit. Finally a woman who knew her worth and how powerful she was. Who didn't need outside assurance on her strength, but who simply knew from herself.

''Hey, new girl, everyone here is about that superhero life. And if you don't mind my asking, where the hell have you been all this time?'' Rhodey asked offended. Ouch, his fragile masculinity got hurt. He knew Fury would only call Carol if he thought the Avengers couldn't handle the threat. So getting mad at her for not being here while she didn't know there was a threat, was kind of mean. 

Katya couldn't help but smirk as Carol gave no shits about his tone. ''There are a lot of other planets in the universe. And unfortunately, they didn't have you guys.''

Rhodey nodded but still looked offended, while the other half of the team smirked. It was funny to have someone shut him up instead of him doing that to others. 

Silently, the plan had been agreed on. People had doubts, but also knew this was the only way to do this. And hadn't the Avengers always half-assed things and succeeded anyway? They didn't do many things with full security.

Thor, who had been sitting behind Carol, eating and saying nothing, stood up. His chair scraped loudly on the ground as he sighed. He tried to intimidate her by slowly walking into her personal space and towering over her. 

Katya rolled her eyes at his display of power. Carol had already proved herself and this was just mean.

But she simply stared at him as he held out his right hand and waited for his axe to fly into his hand. With a little woosh, it skimmed right past her left cheek, the wind blowing her hair forwards. She didn't flinch so much as blink. 

Thor sighed, leaning on his weapon while examining the woman in front of him. She gave him a small smirk and narrowed her eyes. Not even the God of Thunder scared her. 

He finally looked up at the others and said casually, ''I like this one.'' Damn they could become one powerful duo. Both glowing and able to crush enemies with their pinkies. 

Steve stared at the Holo of the alien planet, everyone waiting for him to give the go-ahead. He was the captain after all. Setting his jaw, he declared loudly, ''Let's go get this son of a bitch.''

~~~~~

Hope is such a funny thing. It could get even the most broken souls to flare up again. After months, years, centuries without hope, there had to be the smallest spark and it spread like wildfire.