Chapter 12: Eli

In a flash of light, I'm standing under the bridge over the canal. I made it. I'm home. Its the same, but then it's also changed so much. The trees are the same, but there are different people here. The ones I recognise are so much older.

I look at the vortex manipulator. It says the time is 2:57 in the afternoon. I receive a text from Krel.

Krel: hey little brother! My V.M. says your here! Meet me at my house at 3, I finished my project.

Steve will be there too, if that sweetens the deal!

I don't even bother replying before taking off at a jog in the direction of my old friends house. The thing is, when you're a 15 year-old kid with no physical training, you can't run very fast without tiring yourself out. But when you're a 19 year-old man with extensive physical and weapons training, you can run great distances without effort.

I made it to Krel's house in record time, without so much as breaking a sweat. Its now 3:05 and I'm at the front door. I don't even bother knocking, but instead I silently open the door and sneak into the house. Since training with Vex and Aja, I've mastered the Art of Infiltration.

After looking through the house, I check the back garden, to find them standing and staring at a spaceship fit for a movie. It's white with blue accents similar to my V.M. Its twice the size of the house and it looks like it could accommodate all of us. Krel is giving a well prepared speech about it, and since the rest of them are facing the ship, and he's facing them, he's the first to see me.

He stops mid sentence and smiles, his four hands resting on his hips. Jim and Toby turn around first and they laugh. It's nice to know they recognise me after all this time.

Jim has a beard, and he's sporting a royal blue jacket, the same colour as his skin was when he was part troll. His hair has changed too. Its longer and tied behind his head.

Toby is taller (but not much) and he's actually lost quite a bit of weight. Instead of his old knit sweater, he's actually wearing a black leather jacket and black jeans. He has his nose pierced and he looks awesome.

Claire's hair is fully white now. Its long and braided, but she hasn't changed all that much.

Steve is the last to turn around. He's still wearing his old blue shirt, and some beige cargo shorts. His hair is shaved at the sides and slightly longer at the top. He has some stubble on his face, and his big brown eyes stare at me. I've changed too.

My hair is lighter and longer, but not too long, and I'm wearing a brown leather jacket over my best fighting boots and my combat clothes. Instead of my old ninja stars, I have a bunch of throwing knives at my belt. I'm tall, just a little shorter than Steve. I'm stronger, but not buff. Its more lean muscle. I can feel Steve's eyes taking me in. I blush a little, but I'm so happy I can't move.

Several seconds pass. No one moves. I can't take it anymore, I run to Steve with the biggest smile on my face. He breaks out of his trance and holds his arms open to hug me. I launch myself into his embrace and he spins me around, laughing. The others laugh too, but I don't hear it. I only hear Steve, nothing else in this world exists. Only him.

I pull away just long enough to crash my lips against his. He responds immediately, with just as much passion. My stomach does flips and my heart feels like it's flying. I wrap my arms around my love's neck and deepen the kiss. He puts his big arms around my slim waist and pulls me as close as he can. I've waited four years for this and I didn't even know it.

"Jim, did you kn-" Claire starts

"Nope" He shakes his head, not taking his eyes off the two gayest men he's ever seen.