Mick's first F4 race

It is the day after I cooked with Lewis and I am visiting my dad again. This time there is a glimmer of hope. The doctor thinks my dad is ready to breathe on his own. I am not so sure but I know I just need to trust the doctor. The rest of my family is gathered around his bed as the doctor gets to work. I find myself gripping Mick's shoulder as the doctor completes the job. The first few seconds are tense but the doctor seems satisfied that she has done everything that she can. After giving us a small brief she leaves.

"Well that's one step down," Mick breaks the silence. At least someone has.

"Yes, but there is still a long way to go," our mum retorts. Well, there goes the good mood. Like the rest of us, she is worried.

"Mum please let Mick be hopeful," I responded. We all need some hope, especially Mick. It feels wrong for me to say something like that but it is true.

"Anyway Mick and I should be getting ready to head to Germany," I remind Mick that he has places to be. The good thing is Mick has accepted me as his personal assistant for now. It will obviously be harder when my duties as a driver start. We soon make it back to the family retreat. I should probably let Lewis know that Mick and I are leaving tomorrow. As I debate the idea in my head Mick and I get ready. Since we won't be in Germany for long I don't pack much. There is a knock on the door. It is Lewis.

"I thought I could go with you," Lewis remarks as he comes in. I am not surprised that he is suggesting it. In fact, I was going to send him a text.

"Sure," I reply. I find myself a little distracted by the thought of helping Mick.

"You know Mick will be fine," Lewis speaks up. He is right but I can't help worrying. The thing is I just want to protect my little brother in case anything goes wrong. I know a lot can go wrong. Maybe I am not a bad sister. It is the day after and Mick, Lewis and I are heading through Zurich airport. I am glad that Mick seems happier now that he is finally in single-seaters. The thought makes me smile however it doesn't last long. It should be our father doing this, not me. I find myself sighing because the conflicting emotions are annoying. I have decided to focus on Mick's joy. It is the least that I could do. I pull myself closer to Lewis. After three long hours of travelling we have made it to the Nürburgring. Right now I am feeling sorry for Mick's team.

"I'm sorry Liesel. Mick didn't tell us that both you and Lewis would be joining us," the team principal remarks as he scrambles to find a spare seat.

"Don't worry about it," I reply. To be honest I am more worried about Mick than being comfortable. I know Mick can handle himself but there is nothing that is going to stop me from worrying.

"Lewis I'm going to check on Mick," I whisper to excuse myself.

"Ok," Lewis replies as I leave. It doesn't take long for me to find Mick with his head buried in the preseason testing data. The fact that he wants to learn is typical behaviour of junior drivers.

"It looks fine to me," I made him flinch. His reaction gets a giggle from me.

"You know I'll be fine right?" Mick replies. He is right but at the same time, he needs to have fun.

"Yeah but you know I need to check on you," I retort. I am his sister after all. Something tells me Mick will have the best chance. He is a part of the team that gave me the best start that was possible. I find myself giving Mick a supportive pat as I leave. I am quick to find Lewis. It doesn't take Mick long to get to work on practising. Seeing the way Mick is able to adapt to the car gives me a sense of hope. For some reason, my mind wanders back to the time I graduated from karting to Formula 4. In hindsight, I don't see why it was controversial. Sure I had a famous last name but I was good.

"What are you thinking about?" Lewis asks.

"Just the commotion I caused when I was at the Formula 4 level," I reply. I notice that Lewis' facial expression has changed. I put it down to the fact that he has a similar experience when he joined me in Formula 3. It has been a couple of days since then and there is an excited buzz in the garage. It is due to the fact that Mick and his teammate qualified well. At least Mick could have bragging rights over me since I crashed in my first Formula 4 race. Lewis pulls me closer to see if that will help ease the tension that is currently oozing from my body. I really shouldn't be nervous but watching a race is different to being in it.

"Sorry if I seem bothered but I'm just worried about Mick," I voice your concerns. Now I know how my mum felt when she had to watch me race when I was younger.

"It's all good. Waiting is the worst thing about racing," Lewis says. His words manage to comfort me. I turn my attention to the monitor that is showing the broadcast. I find some relief that Mick was able to gain a couple of positions with a good start. The relief doesn't last long because the driver in front of Mick pulls an aggressive move.

"Come on Mick," I utter as he gets to work on making a counterattack. I can feel Lewis' hand on my hip which means he wants to pull me closer again. I am happy that I have someone like Lewis who knows how to comfort me. After a tense hour of driving the race has come to an end with Mick in first. My worry gives way to a different emotion. Pride. After the podium ceremony, it doesn't take long for him to reach the garage. He has a big smile on his face. He should after all he has won. Seeing Mick win has reminded me that I need a good start to what could be my last season in Formula 1.

"That was amazing," Mick remarks as he leaps towards me.

"Yes. You did well," I responded. I don't really want to tell him that he did better than me in his first race. He will brag otherwise. Not that I mind but he seems to have taken my compliment in the right direction. It has been a couple of days since Mick's victory and I am watching over my dad while the others go out to eat. I am also thinking about my future. This season will definitely be my last. The thing is I need to consider what I am going to do with myself afterwards. I know what the others on the grid will say. They will tell me to keep pushing but I can only push so hard. My thoughts are interrupted by my message tone. It is Toto reminding me of the fact that we start preseason testing in a couple of days.

B: We are ready for you to start testing in a couple of days.

L: I'll come but I'm starting to have doubts.

B: We can make it work.

I am glad that I have people like Lewis and Toto who can keep me going for one more season. I just need to remember moments like Mick's first Formula 4 victory. Plus I am sure that my mum or Gina will be able to give me updates on my dad's condition. 

A/N So the re-writes for this story are finished. I would encourage you to vote and/or comment if you have enjoyed this story so far.