"You should really eat." A voice called from behind her. "I mean, you are human, isn't that the way you survive?"

She turned her head and there he was, dressed in a proper suit and undaggered was Elijah Mikaelson. He stepped beside her as they walked step for step down the sidewalk.

"I am going to assume Damon messed something up." She huffed. Elijah was supposed to be asleep, daggered in the Salvatore basement, yet here he was.

"That would make most sense." He smirked. "He does seem to have an affinity for making compulsive mistakes."

Adeline scoffed at his words, making compulsive mistakes was an understatement. Damon was known for his irrational, emotional actions. The blonde-haired girl hated him when he first rolled into town but has since become at least somewhat friends with the raven-haired vampire. Stefan and her were closer, but still Damon was a friend.

"But no—this time it was Elena who undaggered me." Elijah continued. Addy turned her eyes to meet Elijahs, shock was written across her face and the original vampire took note of it, slightly chuckling beneath his breath. "I know, I was shocked as well."

"What did Elena do that for?"

"She wanted to make a new deal, offer herself up as long as the lot of you remained safe." He scoffed "Same old thing really, which is ironic considering she is the one who broke our deal in the first place."

Elena was not thinking rationally, she knew her childhood friend to well. There was no way Elena would undagger Elijah if she had even a sliver of her right mind working but she didn't. She was afraid and terrified of losing those closest to her like she lost her parents. Adeline could understand that given that she lost her mom, but still this was a bad idea.

"I'm guessing if you are here to see me, it means you don't accept her deal." Adeline blurted; her tone was shaky. She was worried, and the pit in her stomach grew. She was afraid the original was here to send a message, to kill her. As much as she didn't want to die, there was a small voice inside her buried deeply within the depths of her mind that told her maybe it wouldn't be so bad, she could see her mom again.

"I'm not here to kill you Adeline." Elijah assured her. He had picked up on the fear she was radiating.

"Oh—" she sighed. "What is this about then?"

"I've been watching you." He replied, looking over at the blonde.

"Creepy much?" she rolled her eyes. Elijah let out a chuckle at the girls expense.

"Be that as it may, I can see that you are the true heart of the group—the favorite if you will."

She had no idea what he was talking about, she never felt like the favorite. Afterall, most of the stuff that was happening was to save the great and glorious Elena Gilbert. That is who the favorite of the group was, Elena. Not Adeline.

"You must have me confused with Elena." She retorted, scoffing at the mere idea that she could be the favorite, the center of attention. Adeline was blissfully unaware of how beautiful she truly was.

"Oh, please Adeline, Elena Gilbert is a nice girl, but she doesn't hold a candle to you." Elijah pointed out, glancing over at Addy who was now visibly confused by the vampire's words and motive. "I have been around a very long time and in that time, I have learned a few things. I have learned the art of observation."

"That's great—I guess?" Adeline questioned.

"What I'm trying to say is, after watching you and your friends for some time I was able to pick up on who the true glue is... its you." Elijah continued, as they strolled down the sidewalk of the empty street. Adeline was still confused but gave Elijah a glance that indicated for him to get to the point. "You are most trusted by your friends, most beloved. Even Damon and Stefan no matter how infatuated they may be with the Gilbert girl, deeply care for you."

"So—you came here today to compliment me?" she questioned. She was still unsure what the reason of this unexpected visit was and the more he spoke, the more confused she became.

"Actually—I came to have you deliver a warning to your friends." Elijah placed his hand on Adeline's arm, pulling her to a stop. The faced each other and studied one another's faces. "I hate to do this Adeline; I actually find you... likeable or appealing. But since I now have no trust in your friends, this is the only way."

"Elijah—" she breathed nervously. "What warning?" The girl wasn't stupid, she knew this wasn't going to be good. She sucked in a deep breath, attempting to prepare herself.

"If your friends try cross me again and interfere with the arrangement Elena and I have made I will feed you my blood and kill you, then use you as the vampire sacrifice in my dear brothers' ritual." He warned, speaking slowly. "And make no mistake, I will do it Adeline. I am a man of my word, as you know."

Elijah didn't have to tell Adeline he meant it, she knew he did. Since Elijah arrived to town, he has been nothing if not consistent and a man of his word. She knew her friends, as hard as they tried would never be able to truly defeat the original. Goosebumps rose along her skin and her all the blood rushed away from her face.

She could be dead by the end of the week.

"Okay." She gulped. "I'll deliver the message." The girl had nothing else to say, there was no magic words. She knew what she had to do.

"I knew you would, even without compulsion." He smirked. "Like I said, you are the most truthworthy. Noble, a bit like myself."

Great. She had something in common with the ancient vampire, how exciting she sarcastically thought.

"Well—now that you have ruined my morning and probably week, I'll be going." She scoffed, walking away from the original who still stood in the middle of the sidewalk.

"Adeline." He called after her. She reluctantly turned back around to face him, silently wincing as she worried about what he may say next. "I do apologize it has to be this way. You truly seem...nice."

"Gee—thanks." She rolled her eyes and continued walking away. As angry and scared as she was, deep down she knew Elijah really was sorry, but she also knew that wouldn't stop him from following through on his promise to end her life.

A/N: The picture at the top of the chapter is Josephine Langford and she is what I envision Adeline looking like 😍