35. Debate!

Uproar. The Philosophers left etiquette behind and started talking freely amongst themselves, arguing about the things they had just heard in heated tones. One of them stood up, pointed at Zantheus, and shouted over the rest of the clamour "Of course he didn't become enlightened at the top of Mount Awmeer! That's because Enlightenment doesn't exist!"

At this Kathegetes spoke again, trying to restore some semblance of order to the proceedings. "Gentlemen, gentlemen please! Let's not forget ourselves! QUIET!"

A hush fell. Kathegetes had lost his nerve for a moment. He readjusted his spectacles. "Now, there is no reason that this symposium should not continue in a civilised and dignified manner." He addressed the Philosopher that had stood up. "Empaiktes, you seem to have some strong opinions on the matter at hand, would you care to join me up on the platform?"

"Yes I would," said Empaiktes, and came up. Zantheus recognised him as the man who had sat next to Anthē at dinner the night before.

"Now," said Kathegetes, "I think we all know the position that Professor Empaiktes holds. Would anyone like to speak in defence of a counter-position?"

"I should like to." Another Philosopher stood up. It was Paideutes, the man who had sat between Zantheus and Tromo.

"Professor Paideutes," said Kathegetes, "please join us."

It was getting quite crowded on the platform. Kathegetes and Zantheus remained where they had been standing on either side of the lectern, and now they were accompanied by Padieutes and Empaiktes respectively. Kathegetes made a brief speech by way of introduction to the debate.

"My esteemed colleagues, as you know, our great institution was founded with the ideal of Enlightenment in mind. Traditionally, we Philosophers have always been seekers of Enlightenment. However, as of late, a new breed of Philosopher has begun to appear. I am sure we all question the existence of Enlightenment from time to time, but many of the finest among our ranks have recently come to the conclusion that it definitely does not exist. I am, of course, referring to the so-called 'Post-Enlightenment' school of thought that has come into fashion lately. Today we have heard a very interesting contribution to the debate: Sir Zantheus, a knight of the Aythian Order, no less, has very patiently and eloquently described to us his beliefs concerning Enlightenment. Now I hand you to the very capable Professor Empaiktes to advance our discussion further."

Zantheus was thoroughly confused. He had always been taught that Enlightenment was to be found at the top of Mount Awmeer. That was part of his world. He had never considered that it might be found somewhere else or, worse still, that it might not even exist at all. He was caught up in a debate with which he did not agree, in which he did not want to participate. Meanwhile, Empaiktes had begun talking.

"Colleagues, to my mind what we have witnessed here today only confirms what many of us have known to be the case for some time now," said Empaiktes. There is no such thing as 'Enlightenment'. This 'knight' is a living testament that it is a superfluous superstition we have inherited from our less well-informed ancestors." He now began to speak about Zantheus as if he was an object, some kind of exhibit whose only purpose was to demonstrate his point. "He is a relic from a bygone age, a poignant reminder of the distance we have come since those barbaric times. For no reasonable person in our day and age could hope to sincerely entertain such fanciful ideas. Enlightenment is a myth, albeit a very powerful one, symbolising the thirst for knowledge that has always marked out those of our profession. Our predecessors, many of them great men, believed in it simply because they did not know better. And with this knight we see that they did not have the monopoly on opinion as to where 'Enlightenment' was to be found. The old Aythians disagreed with our predecessors, firmly believing that it was to be found at the summit of Mount Awmeer. What romance must have been conjured up in their ancient minds by staring up at that monolith of nature, watching the sun dawn magnificently over it day after day, a beacon of hope and beauty. And we have seen today a rare thing: An Aythian who has actually climbed to the peak of the Insurmountable Mount. And what he has found there confirms that their beliefs are as erroneous as ours once were: Nothing. This man did not find 'Enlightenment' because, my dear colleagues, he –I mean, it– does not exist."