12. The Chest and the Lock (Tromo's Dream)

Meanwhile, Tromo was dreaming too.

He was back on the ship on which he had sailed back to Dahma, standing in the store cupboard that he had ended up sleeping in, but this was before all that. A young girl was crouched down, looking him in the eyes, speaking to him. She had the same mousey-brown hair as Tromo.

"Quick, Cristin," she was saying, "we've got to hide you!"

She spoke urgently and there was a look of fear on her face. Above them could be heard shouting, the clash of steel, and occasional screams.

"Ah, I know!" She started darting around the room in search of something. She grabbed a blanket and lifted the lid of a chest in the corner of the room. "You can fit in here, can't you?" Tromo didn't say anything, he was too afraid. The girl picked him up and placed him in the chest. He could probably fit in it if he curled up in a ball and lay on his side. But he didn't want to leave the girl. He put his arms up in the air for her to lift him out.

"No, no, Cris," she said gently, taking hold of his hands and bringing them down. "This is your only chance. You can escape. Wait till all the noise has stopped and then sneak out." They heard the sound of footsteps outside the door. The colour drained from the girl's face. She dropped her voice to a whisper and drew her face up against his. "Whatever happens, don't say a word. Whatever you hear, stay silent. Don't say a word." She slammed the lid down and at exactly the same moment that Tromo heard the door burst open. He was plunged into darkness, complete darkness, inside the chest. But he could hear voices through it. The intruder growled with delight.

"Oh, lucky me!"

"Please!" the girl said, terrified. "Please, take anything! Anything you like!"

"Oh don't worry I will, darling."

Tromo heard the sound of drawers being opened, and the clink of jewellery or currency. He was terribly anxious for the girl. But he couldn't think why. Why was he so desperate that she be safe? Wait, that was it. His sister. She was his sister.

The sound of frenzied rifling stopped.

"What are you standing there in the corner for, darling?"

"N-nothing," came his sister's voice.

"You're trying to hide something from me, aren't you sweetie?"

"No! I swear!"

"Hmm, what have you got hidden for me under this blanket?"

"Nothing, I swear! No, please, not in there! There's nothing in there!"

There was a thud as something hit the floor. "Wait over there darling, you'll get your turn with me!"

Whatever happens, don't say a word.

A crack of light appeared where the man started to lift the lid of the chest. But then it disappeared again and the darkness was back.

"Argh! Stupid wench!" Another thud and a gasp of pain in his sister's voice. "So you'd rather die now, is that it? That's fine by me."

"No, no, please, I don't want to die!"

Whatever you hear, stay silent.

"I'll slit that pretty neck in one go."

The sound of steel being drawn.

"No! No!"

There was a scream which turned into a gargle. A horrible, choking, spluttering gargle.

The lid lifted.

Don't say a word.

"What the...?"