Charmer (Shot 2)

SHOT 2

Professional ethics demanded that Annika hold no vengeance towards a particular student let alone whole class. She couldn't help herself but feel annoyed whenever she has to attend second period every Friday this particular class. SSO, who handles the first period, leaving the class two minutes late every time only with a slight nod that was more of formality than acknowledgement was only the last reason for the annoyance. Her main reason, however, was that rowdy professor's double standards.

First time Annika met Shivay Singh Oberoi, SSO, wasn't anything dramatic. In fact, unless Anjali cornered her in the staff room during Lunch and questioned what SSO spoke to her, Annika didn't know the man who offered to show her the library was the bane of her existence in college, SSO himself.

Annika has always been beauty in conventional way. Attention of opposite sex has never been lacking. Although everyone who approached her was predictable.

Annika was confident (rather overly confident) that when SSO met her in person for the first time, he would be smiles and smirks and flirts. This indifferent man who took long strides intentionally to avoid walking by her side and who only waved in unconcern for her 'thank you' didn't seem taken by her as the whole college believed.

Annika doubted if he even looked at her face long enough to recognize who she was.

'He was playing hard to get' Annika confirmed. Not that she will ever try to get him.

Annika knew his kind and she was no more naïve teenager to go behind the man who perfectly fit the bill that every romantic books and TV recommended. She, for the first time in her life, had an ambition and she was going to walk towards that rather than wasting time on men. She could do without unnecessary distraction.

SSO, however, was keen on not leaving her without distraction.

First Friday, two days after Annika heard about 'Cute hai' and one day after library indifference, Annika found herself leaning on the wall waiting for first period to be over so she can enter the senior most class handed to her on time.

Her eyes widened and her steps halted in front of the classroom when she saw SSO half sitting on the table holding a chalk piece in between his fingers like a cigarette and telling students about some book.

"Two minute, please, miss?" he said in the most professional tone on seeing her near the class.

What would have been the most professional thing for Annika to do was walk away with a smile. She was too held up on pondering the irony of the situation (finding herself face to face with SSO in the same classroom where he called her cute) that Annika stood like a statue.

Annika didn't dare to guess how her 'stunned because stuck in thoughts' look translated to students (maybe as bestowed), but after SSO left the class with a eye roll, Annika was greeted with giggles and grins and not with usual 'Good morning' in sing song tone.

Annika's glare was brushed off by students who continued to look at her with huge grin and so she used her favorite weapon, assignment. She gave them the toughest one. That will teach them not to act smart with her.

Annika unapologetically dumped one more assignment on the students who didn't submit the previous one on time.

If only she knew that it will put her in another uncalled for spot.

It only took ten days for students of that class to figure out Annika mam who was sweet and sensitive to others was particularly strict with their class. To make things worse, faculty in charge for that particular class was SSO. Students wasted no time in complaining to him.