15 | Worm

"GOAL!!!"

The accidental yell leaves his mouth as he leaps over the sofa and sprints around their LA home. Shawn's yells of excitement and pure joy could be heard a mile away as he celebrates yet another goal on his favourite soccer game. Just as he's about to jump over the sofa he notices his phone ringing with a FaceTime call. He immediately pauses his game and grabs his phone whilst falling back into the comfy cushions.

"Hey worm!"

"Man your nicknames keep on getting weirder."

Shawn playfully rolls his eyes at his best friend and watches as he laughs on the other end of the call. Although they speak every day, it's different than being there in person. He misses his hanging out with his friends more than anything.

"So? How's life?" Shawn asks and notices the slight blush rise on Brian's cheeks, seeing this expression makes him place his hands over his own cheeks and grin.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You're in love. My best friend has found his one!"

Shawn squeals like a teenage girl as the images of them having a joint wedding swirl in his mind. Noticing the crazy look on his best friends face, Brian quickly interrupts his daydream.

"Nope, stop...stop it. We're not there yet Mendes."

He puts his hand out at the camera trying to make his friend chill out. Shawn sighs as a frown slowly starts to appear on his face. Brian rolls his eyes at the expression on his face and groans leaning back against their sofa back home in Toronto.

"Ugh okay, maybe we've said I love you but..."

"I KNEW IT! Ahhh we're in love at the same time, this calls for a double date!"

Shawn yells now sitting upright and thinking about all the noise complaints Camila will be receiving from their neighbours. Brian can't help but laugh at his childlike excitement. They've grown up together and now experiencing the magic that is love at the same time, it's truly the best feeling.

"Maybe we can have a double date when this virus is gone but you better not be embarrassing. I have plenty of stories I can tell your girl about you remember."

"Haha nice try. I have no secrets with Camila, she knows everything about me. Ugly and all. But I promise I will not embarrass you because I'm the best friend you've ever had."

He tells him with a grin and Brian shakes his head with a smile, Shawn is honestly the biggest kid he has ever known. It's a nice quality though. They try not to take themselves too seriously and it keeps them both down to earth. Especially in the industry they're both a part of.

"Okay okay, you're my best friend. How is it going without Camila though? You doing okay?"

The dreaded question came and Shawn couldn't hold back the look of sadness spreading across his face. Just 1 more week without her. He is aware of how clingy he sounds but it's been hard waking up without her in his arms. She's constantly busy at the moment which isn't her fault at all but he doesn't get the time to talk to her like he has been so used to over the past few months.

"I'm not gonna lie man, it's been hard. I miss her a lot but I'm doing okay, I really love her. We've not been in a relationship for long but I know she's my one, you know?"

"I know. You two are literally some kind of movie fairytale. If you don't wife her up then I'll beat your ass."

"I'll beat my own ass don't worry."

Shawn jokes but knows he is one hundred percent serious. It took him more time than he can even comprehend to be with her and there is no way he's going to let her go. Brian knows that and he admires his determination and adoration for her, he'll make a great dad someday. They're seriously growing up together and he couldn't be happier to see his best friend so happy and carefree.

"I'm happy for you man, seriously. I know I've said it a few times but seeing the smile on your face when you talk about her, I'm so glad you are finally together."

Shawn can't help but smile at his words and nod in thanks. They're adults now. Adults that talk about love, marriage and the possibility of being fathers someday. He never thought as a teenager that those thoughts would ever come to his mind at this age but they do...and he loves it.

"Thanks worm. I'm happy for you too, we're getting old eh?"

"Seems like it. Who would've thought when we were hanging out on the fields and climbing random shit that we'd ever be here."

"I'm proud of us, genuinely. Awh look at our little bromance!"

"Alright Mendes, this little love talk is over."

"Good, now I can go back to my fifa game."

"What?! I'm logging on and kicking your ass"

"Yeah, dream on worm!"

They spend the next hour challenging each other on fifa where Shawn was proud to admit he won most of the games. Playing fifa with his best friend is one of his most normal experiences in his crazy life. It's a nice break and he can fully be himself. Just a 21 year old playing Fifa against his best friend.

A/N: I've heard the news about a break in at Shawn and Camila's home in LA. It's incredibly terrifying for them that they were at home when this happened. No one should have to experience that, famous or not. I'm glad that they are rumoured to be safe but I'm sure it had damaging effects on their mental health as it would anyone. Please treat them with kindness and show them love during this time. All love 💛