56.

Heartbeats, seconds, breaths, minutes.

The heavy iron chain burned my wrists, clinging mercilessly to my skin. Bursts of red and purple were blooming around the shackles where the guards had been too thorough in tying me up, leaving a macabre painting of thunderous colours around the solid metal.

My knees hurt, and my neck was sore as I hung my head, unwilling to meet my mother's eyes.

The faint whispers of the veil echoed in my ears, distant and delicate, taunting me as I listened for any flicker or change. My back was facing the portal, denying me of the sight I so desperately longed for then.

I fought the urge to cry as I thought of Hongjoong, praying that he would stay in Odeion, praying that he would know better, be better, than me. I hoped, desperately, that he would abandon me. I wished, begging the heavens, that he would leave me to rot here, chained, betrayed, wounded.

The silence within the room was overwhelming, so much so that the quick intake of my breath pierced the air like that of a spear as I heard the veil shift.

I was on my feet in a heartbeat, running for the portal with my heart in my throat as the son of Lilith stepped through the dark marble archway only to crumble to the floor as the chain around my wrists abruptly tightened.

"Hongjoong, go!" I cried, watching the look on his face fall as all eyes went to him, piercing and cold like silver and ash.

"Leave!" I yelled, struggling to free myself, but my efforts were to no avail as the man before me stayed frozen in his spot, and my mother, foot firmly placed on the tail of my chains, studied him with blatant dislike written across her features.

Tears were streaming down my face as he made a move for me, selfless and foolish as always, and I violently shook my head as the surrounding guards intercepted his path.

"Dahlia-" he began, but I had already turned my back to him, wild eyes finding those of my mother which were cruel as she stared down at me.

"Please," I croaked, chest aching with the desperate cry of my heartbeat, "Please let him go back. Destroy the portal, punish me, I don't care. Just let him go-" I swallowed thickly, my voice hoarse with sobs I was fighting to keep contained.

"Mother I'm begging you," I cried, watching as a sickening smile made its way to her lips. It was twisted, villainous, wicked. And although I knew it was merciless, I had to try. I had to fight. I had to surrender.

"Hurt me," I said, "Ruin me. Kill me. I'll do anything. Anything. I won't fight, not again, not ever. Just let him go," I pleaded, desperate as I turned and watched the guards reach for the son of Lilith, eyes burning and lashes heavy from the weight of a million tears, a broken constellation, as cruel hands seized his wrists, arms, and shoulders.

I whipped back around, panicked as I realized that he wasn't putting up a fight, panicked as he just continued to stare, panicked as he simply allowed it to happen.

"Mother, please. Please. I'll do anything. I love him-"

"Silence," she bristled, and my breath caught.

"If you ever suggest something as atrocious as that again, and in my court, at that, I will have your head for it. Not only is that abominable and abhorrent. It is downright impossible."

I straightened myself as a flicker of hatred burned through my veins, hands shaking with rage as my lips parted in protest. But Hongjoong caught me to it, stealing the words that had lingered at the tip of my tongue as he said, "Take me instead."

My eyes widened, but it was too late. His words settled in the air between us, heavy and fatal, as my mother, at last, tore her eyes from me and let them settle on the son of Lilith.