Chapter Thirty-Three: Bursting Bubbles

Start from the beginning

One by one the students applied Glow Charms and Dazzle Charms to the bubble swarm, and one or more bubbles would begin to glow or sparkle. The older students were better, of course, and could light up more at bubbles at a time, but it didn't take long until the room was filled with a wonderous sheen.

Ruby's turn arrived. She took a deep breath, flourished her wand, and said confidently, 'Fulgeos!'

The room echoed with the 'ooh's and 'ahh's of the club members. Ruby's Glow Charm had lit the largest number of bubbles yet, and each radiated a pretty, pale pink light. Gideon was impressed. Though shy, she had focused and pulled off a better spell than a lot of the older students.

Suddenly full of stage fright, Gideon thought back to the Charms class where he had burned his feather. After, running out of the class, he never did get to try the Beacon Charm. Now seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Gideon concentrated, waved his wand, and commanded, 'Micos!'

It worked and the effect was even better than he had envisioned. A large number of the glowing and sparkling bubbles began to flash intermittently and at different speeds. It was how Gideon imagined the inside of a fairy nest might look.

Gideon noticed that Verity looked cross, and the group leader looked a little perturbed, but he was relieved to see that most of the students were enjoying his contribution.

'That's the Beacon Charm,' the tall girl called out matter-of-factly. 'Not a bad idea, if you know it. Although, we haven't practiced it in the club.'

The students continued to apply their spells one by one. Some of the older students even tried the Beacon Charm as well.

'What do you think?' Gideon asked Ruby.

'It's pretty,' she said simply. 'I wish we could do more, though.'

'Why don't we?'

'I don't think Maxine and Verity would like that.'

'The Beacon Charm worked out okay...'

Ruby smiled widely but bit her lip nervously. 'What should we do?' she asked with a glean in her eye.

'I have a fun idea. Can you make the bubbles move around?'

Ruby nodded. When it came around to her turn again, almost all the bubbles were alight, sparkling and flashing like a glorious chandelier. Gideon could tell that Ruby was apprehensive about her spell but once again, she appeared to dig deep and spoke resolutely.

Ruby's spell caused the field of bubbles to begin turning on the spot, giving it the appearance of a giant disco ball. Again, most of the students liked the change but Verity and the group leader, Maxine were put out by someone deviating from their instructions.

Gideon wasn't sure his spell would even work. Transfiguration was difficult, after all. However, it would only be a minimal transformation and the magical theory behind the idea was straight forward. So, concentrating as hard as he could, Gideon cast his wand in a wide circle and pictured the outcome clearly in his mind before commanding, 'Verto!'

All but the furthest bubbles from Gideon squeezed dangerously and for a moment he thought they were going to pop. Then, one at a time the bubbles rebounded into a different shape. Suddenly the spinning field of glowing, flashing, sparkling bubbles became a swarm of butterfly-shaped bubbles.

Ruby and a few others clapped, and Gideon was filled with pride. It wasn't enough, though. Gideon knew he could still enhance the idea. He added charms to make the butterfly bubbles appear to flap their wings, he changed some of their sizes and increased the movement speed.