{19}

Piper's POV

And just like that the doorbell rang.

Mack's eyes went wide. My phone rang suddenly. It was mom.

I answered.

"Hey, sweetie! Could you let us in! We came home early since we barely get time with you." She spoke. Her words stunned me.

"Uh, yeah, sure. Be right there." I answered.

I clicked the hang up button and let my arm hang at my side.

"Shit." Mack finally said.

We stood in silence for a few seconds, thinking.

"Window?" Mack asked with a heavy sigh.

I peered over at my window, quite high off the ground. "Window."

She sighed again, but then hugged me again. "I'll see you at practice tomorrow. Now go spend time with your parents."

The conversation felt so off. I couldn't quite pin why, but something was wrong. I walked out the door, trusting Mack to take care of getting down herself. As I made my way downstairs, I fought the urge to go back up to my room and ask Mack to stay so we could confess everything to our parents. That's all I want. I just want to tell them. I want to let them know that I love Mack, and I don't know if Mack really loves me back, but I don't care. She's mine, and that's all that matters. But I want to make it known.

"Welcome home." I greeted them as I opened the door.

They walked inside, warm smiles greeting me.

"Want to watch a movie or something? Play a game? We never spend time with you!" My mother exclaimed as she put her coat up on our coat rack.

I shrugged, embracing my mother and father in a sudden hug. Even I shocked myself with this.

"Woah, kiddo, you okay?" My dad asked.

Suddenly I found myself crying. The room stayed silent. Nobody moved or said a word.

"You that excited to see us?" My dad joked, trying to lift up my spirits.

I let go, fat tears still taking over my vision. I tried forming words, but I couldn't find any. What was I supposed to say? What I wanted to say was, "Hey by the way I'm in love with your enemies daughter and she's probably escaping out my window right now." But I couldn't. 

My mom grabbed my hand and led me over to our dining room table as I used my other hand to try and wipe away the still flowing tears. My dad followed not far behind.

We all sat down, my parents sitting across the table to face me. I had two predictions of what would happen next. One, I get lectured for who knows what. Two, they ask what's wrong and if I don't answer, they get mad and lecture me.

"C'mon, kid, what's up?" My dad questioned.

I looked up hesitantly, avoiding eye contact as much as possible. I could see my mom with a worried expression on his face, my dad with an almost angry look. Like he could kill somebody. He thought I was hurt my someone else.

"Nothing. I'm okay. Just...school. I guess." I muttered.

I finally looked up all the way. My parents stared at me, no words being spoken. They knew I was lying, and they were waiting.

"You wouldn't understand, okay? And even if you did, I don't think you'd like it." I huffed out.

My mom sighed. "Is it a boy? You gotta crush?"

My dad let out a small chuckle. "If a boy hurt you I will kill him."

Tears started to form again. Of course they immediately think it's a boy that's the problem. Because a girl liking boys is normal. I couldn't help but feel so angered towards them. Why? Why did it have to be a boy as the default? They knew I also liked girls. Why do they assume it's a boy?