Chapter 11

Katie's POV:

We lined up at the sides of the playing area. The people playing this round were Jack, Race, Elmer and I. I combed my fingers through my hair, watching the other spin and make an effort to go to their color. It was my turn now and I spun a left handed red. Lucky for me (if you could call it that), Elmer had his hand on the same color. I swallowed, placing my hand on the circle.

(A/N: I apologize right now if my description of the game absolutely sucks. I haven't played Twister in years.)

The game proceeded, and soon enough, Elmer and I were the last people playing. Our limbs were tangled together and Elmer made an effort to spin the arrow thing (can't think of the word). He promptly fell, taking me with him. I landed on his chest, eyes wide as jolts of electricity shot through me. I now realized that during the collapse of the leaning tower of—what do you call us?—my lips had somehow met his and now we were both frozen in place. Elmer's eyes glazed over as the other Newsies cheered rather loudly.

"Elmer?" I whispered, receiving no response. I tried again before forcing myself to roll off him.

"Aw, crap!" Race hissed.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"He's umm....having a memory. It happens a lot. Never tells no-one about 'em, just has them then acts like nothing happened.

Elmer's POV:

I fell over, taking Katie with me. I was the first to notice the contact between our mouths. My head didn't register it as good, instead it took me straight into a memory. (Aw, jeez, the way I worded this paragraph was weird).

Flashback:

"It was your idea to have him!" Mum yelled, voice echoing through the house. I squished my hands to my ears, trying to block out another fight between my parents.

"Well, you agreed to it! It ain't my fault we screwed up!" Dad responded, voice equally as loud as Mom's.

"We should just kick them out, let 'em fend for themselves. They're all nothing but trouble," Mother suggested, lowering her voice a bit.

"Well, pack your stuff. We leave after they're asleep," Father agreed. I sighed, not old enough to know what they meant. Although, I couldn't help but feel like nothing good would come from this. Eventually my eyes closed, engulfing me in darkness and confusion.

I woke up the next morning to my oldest brother, Peter, shaking me. "What?" I asked groggily, barely opening my eyes to see him.

"You're on your own, pal. Mom and Dad are gone and aren't coming back. And we don't want ya," Peter hissed, pulling me outside by my ear.

"Why?" I asked stupidly, unsure of what I did.

"Because you suck. You're a disgrace to the rest of us and an embarrassment to our parents. Why do ya think they left?" Peter growled, throwing me down into the sidewalk. "You're on your own and don't think about coming and finding us."