"I'm sorry." Changbin said meekly, clinging harder onto Hyunjin's arm.

"What? Where did that come from?"

"Well you just said you were afraid I would leave you, and I realized that I've pushed you away a lot or at least enough to warrant that, and I'm sorry. I know I have my problems, but you shouldn't have to worry because of them."

"And I'm sorry I didn't believe in you more." Changbin sighed and sat up, allowing Hyunjin to also change positions.

"If it's any consolation, I'm trying. I really am. You saying that is just confirmation that I'm still not there. I still live under my parents shadow. I still run away because I don't want to face another abandonment, but I'm going to try not to run away again. Okay?" Hyunjin freed his arm and wrapped it around Changbin's shoulders with a squeeze.

"You're doing great."

"I don't know about that, but thanks."

"Anytime. Now tell me, when do I get to see this stuffed animal collection?" A low groan came from Changbin, and Hyunjin giggled.

"Why must you bring that up?"

"Because it's funny."

"As funny as your math skills?"

"Hey! Not the same!"

"Isn't it though..."

They spent the rest of the bus ride joking around and embracing their new unspoken promise. A promise to let the other in little by little until their trust is complete. A promise to never leave the other unless absolutely necessary. A promise of a friendship that didn't rely on someone else's presence to succeed.

And as they arrived at school, there was a feeling of a new beginning, a chance for healing, the potential for a happy ending. Especially at lunch when they saw Felix for the first time that day.

Changbin had decided on the bus that he would sit with Hyunjin in the cafeteria to see how the blond boy's first day at Chan's was, but Hyunjin knew the cold would have forced him inside anyway. Plus, it was easy to tell that Felix had experienced his best night in a long time.

He skipped towards their table, dropping fries on the way that Chan begrudgingly picked up, a wide smile on his face and undeniably new clothes. When he sat down, he closed his eyes and scrunched up his nose in a silent greeting, giving off the feeling of contentment.

Hyunjin couldn't help but admire Felix's appearance today. Not only was he wearing the fluffiest yellow sweater over his white uniform shirt, but his new navy slacks and brown dress shoes were finally the right size and for once he had an air of sophistication. Navy wasn't a color their slacks were supposed to be, nor was the sweater anywhere close to dress code, but Chan seemed to get away with things like that often, so perhaps he pulled a few strings for today.

Felix gave his two friends a hug and proceeded to stick a straw in his chocolate milk, his coral lipstick decorating the straw in a delicate manner. As with the rest of him, his makeup exuded a bit more extravagance that day. Not only the lipstick, but the smudge of blush that brought innocence back to his cheeks, the hint of highlighter that raised his cheekbones, and the thin line of eyeliner paired with a brush of mascara that widened his eyes just enough to make them overtly feminine. There was a softness to his blond locks as they fell over his forehead that made them irresistible to the touch. Liked they begged to be petted.

So Hyunjin did.

"How was last night?" Felix looked off into space and smiled, making Chan smile as well.

"Safe." Hyunjin was about to respond, but was cut off by Felix's excited words. "And yummy! And big! And fun! And...and...wow. I don't even know what to say! Did you know Chan's house was that big? It's like a castle! And he has a dog! I mean, I have a dog, but not like a cute one, and his little brother? I could hug that child all day!"

"What about Min-"

"And I almost died of too much cake! Not sure if that's possible, but I'm pretty sure I ate about half of it in one sitting. It was soooo good! Hey, Channie do you think I could have more today?" Chan and Hyunjin laughed at the outburst, while the couple opposite them stared in horror and Changbin looked at the floor.

"I suppose. It was for your welcoming party."

"YAY!!!!"

"But you have to eat your lunch first." Felix sent Chan a dirty look and popped a fry in his mouth. "Thank you."

"You're not welcome." Minho snorted from across the table while Hyunjin finally noticed Changbin caving in on himself.

"Hey, Bin. What's wrong?" Hyunjin whispered near his ear to avoid any eavesdropping regardless of how loudly Felix and Jisung were talking about sweets.

Changbin shook his head in response.

"I know it's not nothing. You were fine a minute ago."

"Just let me get over it, okay? I'll be good in a second." Changbin put the heels of his hands to his eyes and rubbed harshly. A sigh escaped his lips as he let his hands drop to his lap. "Stop looking at me."

"No, I want to make su-"

"I told you, I'm fine! Just a bit..."

"A bit what?" Changbin wiggled around in his seat, avoiding Hyunjin's gaze.

"Never mind. It's embarrassing."

"Oh, come on! You have to tell me now!" Hyunjin raised his voice, gaining the attention of his tablemates.

"Tell you what?"

"Changbin's being mysterious again!"

"Isn't he always mysterious?" Minho asked.

"No, Babe. That would be you."

"No, you're just really oblivious, but we'll save that for another time."

"I am-"

"I said, another time."

"Whatever. What exactly is mysterious about Changbin?" Jisung said, redirecting the conversation.

"Nothing!" Changbin protested.

"Hmm...sounds suspicious to me." Jisung smirked and leaned towards Changbin, who hardened his expression into the glare he regularly gave Jisung.

"Well no one asked you."

"I asked me, and I think that's enough." Minho rolled his eyes.

"Ji babe, stop. You sound like an idiot."

And with that a loud argument began, allowing Changbin to get away with hiding his feelings for another day.

________________________________________________________________________________

The Transition has occurred! We are now into Baby Changbin territory!

Why it took 38 chapters, don't ask, but we're there.

I hope you have a great day!