Prequel - Part One

Start from the beginning

I opened my mouth to speak but my throat was so dry I could scarcely swallow.

"Here," he murmured, disappearing from view for a moment.

Something solid pressed against my lips and I greedily drank the liquid. I only managed a few sips before coughing violently, my eyes watering at the burning sensation on my tongue.

"What is that?" I choked out, my nose wrinkling.

"It's juice from a plant that grows out here, it's a bit of an acquired taste but it'll help keep you hydrated," he said with an amused smile.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"My name is Kellan, I'm a witch."

My eyes widened. "I thought all the witches lived in the clans?"

His smile faltered. "The clans fell apart about a year ago."

I gaped. "What?"

"Most of the witches are scattered around these canyons or traveled beyond dragon territory," he told me.

"My gods," I breathed. "What happened?"

"The wolves showed up," he said with a shrug. He turned away and started messing with various jars and cloth bundles.

I glanced around the cave, my eyebrows furrowing as my gaze wandered over the painted walls and crudely built furniture.

I tried to readjust my position but my entire body immediately erupted with a burning pain.

Kellan rushed over, panic on his face. "No no you can't move!" he exclaimed. "You fell a long way down and you need to wait for your body to recover."

I blinked a few times. "What?"

He paused, backing away slightly. "Don't you remember? The other dragon was shot down with an arrow and then that night you were shot down with a spear. You fell down the cliffside and shifted back by the time I found your body. Somehow you were still alive though so I brought you here."

My headache worsened as I tried to remember but it eventually came back in hazy broken pieces.

"I remember," I mumbled, my chest aching at the thought of my father's body, still lying there at the bottom of the canyon.

He nodded. "I will be right back, I need to get a few more supplies but please don't get up. I understand you're probably anxious and scared but if you get up then I can't guarantee I'll be able to keep you alive for much longer," he said with a breathy laugh.

"Okay," I agreed.

He offered me a small smile before pulling a hooded cloak over his head and stepping out the mouth of the cave.

I frowned a little when I noticed it was dark. And raining.

My gaze moved down to my body. There was a heavy animal skin draped over me, surrounding me in a comforting warmth.

I swore loudly and held my breath as I painfully pulled the blanket off. My mouth fell open in horror.

My leg was still broken though the bone wasn't sticking out anymore. The skin around it was torn and bloodied and my nose wrinkled at the foul smell coming from the pus-filled gash.

The pads of my hands and feet throbbed and stung. They were almost entirely bare of skin and swollen with small rocks buried in the tender flesh.

The rest of my body was in a similar state. Every centimeter of my skin was scraped and bloodied and covered in dirt and shards of gray rock.