𝟐. 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐞

—

The bell above the modiste's door chimes as Mother and I step into the shop.

"Bon matin, Your Grace, and Lady Reeves." The modiste greets us with a low curtsey, Mother bows her head and I smile back.

"Bonjour, we plan on lowering Arabella's hems, seeing that she will be debuting this year," I watch as Mother moves throughout the front of the shop, running her fingers along with the many different fabrics, "we also need her to be fitted for new chemises, as well as short stays." She lingers over a champagne-colored georgette fabric.

I leave the two to converse about what they're putting me in, traipsing throughout the aisles of vibrant colored fabrics. The light beaming in from the windows catches on a jar and reflects me. Walking over, I notice it's a jar of pearls, all of varying sizes, some as small as the back of a ladybug, and others the size of marbles. I barely take heed to the bell above the door ringing for the second time, but once I hear the familiar voices, I whip my head away from the jar and peak above the aisles.

I watch as my mother and Lady Parkinson share curtseys with one another. I scan the front of the shop for any sign of Pansy but I see no one other than the two women and the modiste.

"Are you looking for me, my love?" A tap on my shoulder has me turning faster than a top. Pansy Parkinson is stood behind me with a bright smile lighting up her face.

"I have missed you!" Pansy begins to curtsey and abruptly stops as we both exchange knowing looks. We nearly double over in laughter, but I quickly envelop her in a tight hug.

"You are squeezing me tighter than my short stay, Arabella," I feel her chest rumble as she attempts to let out a small laugh. She releases me and holds both of my arms in her hands and we both smile.

Smoothing down our skirts, we walk through the aisles together in comfortable silence.

"How was your summer in the country? I was so upset Father would not let me visit you," I glance over and see that her face is downcast to the floor.

"It was lovely, I continued working on the pianoforte, I also read many books, none were notable enough for me to recall, however. Benjamin and I also played many assaults, I won every single one of them, but if you ask Benjamin you may hear something different." At the mention of Benjamin's name, a smile spreads across Pansy's face.

"As Mother and I were on our way here, I caught a glimpse of Benjamin riding horseback," her smile quickly turns into a smirk, "he's very, mature now."

"Pansy, no. That is absolutely revolting. He is my brother, may I remind you that he is my twin. It is almost like you are hitting on me," I lay my hand across my chest in mock shock.

"You are easy on the eyes, Arabella. You should be honored." Pansy snickers as she says this, raising her eyebrows a few times at me.

"Benjamin is off-limits due to our friendship. I refuse to hear you fawn over my brother." I shake my head, attempting to rid myself of thoughts that include Pansy and Benjamin.