Chapter 1: Can You Keep It A Secret?

"Marinette! Hurry we're going to be late!" My mom shouts from downstairs. "Just a second!" I shout as I put on my shoes. I quickly run downstairs and into the bakery immediately capturing the scent of freshly baked cookies. My dad smiles and hands me a bag filled with the treats. "I'm sorry I can't go to the check up today." "Don't worry about it. Someone has to keep an eye on the bakery, right?" I say as I bite into a cookie. He gives me a hug and kisses my head. "Okay now hurry up and go, your mom is waiting outside." I nod and rush out the door.

We get to the hospital and take a seat in the waiting room. "Cookie?" I ask as I hold the bag up to her. "How can you eat at a time like this? Aren't you nervous?" I sigh. "Mom we've been through this so many times in the past few years. I already know what they're going to say. After all these visits nothing has managed change. I'm used to it already." I am nervous but she can't know. I don't want her to worry about me anymore than what she already does. "Maybe this time they'll say a miracle happened and you're cured." "Don't count on it mom."

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng?" The doctor with red hair calls out my name. "Come on mom." I say as I hold a hand out for her. She takes my hand and we follow the doctor as she leads us to the room. I notice the nervousness on her face. I gently rub her back and give her a weak smile.

"Hi Marinette I'm Tikki and I'll be your doctor from now on." I smile as I shake her hand. "Okay so have you had any more problems?" My mom turns her head to face me and gives me a concerned look. "Um sometimes it gets hard to breath but that's normal for me." She smiles and nods. "Yeah that's on your chart. Anything new?" "I have been getting slight cough attacks." She writes it down. "Anything else?" I shake my head. " Okay well from what you said there hasn't been any major changes so that's a good thing. But we are still going to need to have these weekly check ups." I nod. "I'll send in the nurse to get the blood work and then you should be on your way." Tikki says with a smile. "Thank you." She nods and walks out.

"I'm going to bring the car around." My mom says as I wait for the nurse. She always uses that excuse so she can go to the car to cry. I nod and give her another smile. "Hi Marinette. I'm Plagg and I'll be your new nurse." The man with black shaggy hair says as he walks into the room. I smile and shake his hand. He pulls the needle out of the bag and I turn my head away. He smiles. "Not a fan of needles?" He asks as he pulls the seat up next to me. "Not a fan of hospitals." He chuckles making all my nerves fade away.

"Okay so what's your favorite thing to do?" He asks as he cleans the spot on my arm. "Um I like to design." "Really? What do you like to design?" "Well I like to design a little bit of everything like dresses, hats, shirts, skirts, pants, scarves, I've even designed an album cover for my favorite singer." He smiles. "Now was that so bad?" "Was what so bad?" I turn to him with my eyebrows furrowed. "I already took your blood." I look at his hand and see the tube of blood in it. "Wh- how'd you do that?" "I distracted you by asking you what you like to do." "So you weren't actually interested... Ouch!" I say putting a hand over my chest pretending to be hurt. He laughs. "But seriously designing an album cover? You have to bring it in next week for me to see." He says as he gets up from the seat. I smile and nod my head. "For sure." "Ok well it looks like your good to go." He opens the door for me. "Thanks Plagg!" I say with a smile. For once I wasn't as nervous and that's all thanks to Tikki and Plagg.

I walk out and bump into someone. "Oh I'm so sorry- Adrien?" My smile immediately falls as the panic sets in. "Marinette? What are you doing here?" "Um- I- uh had a normal appointment?" "In this section of the hospital?" (idk what the sections are I'm so sorry) "Um yes? What are you doing here?" "I was just visiting my mom. So why are you really here?" "Oh it's nothing." I say trying to brush it off.

"How'd it go Marinette? I hope Plagg distracted you. You're mom told me how scared you are of needles." Tikki said as she walked up to me. "Oh yeah it went great. I didn't even feel it. Thank you." She smiles. "That's good, I'm glad. I'll see you next week." She says as she walks away. "Another appointment? Is everything okay Mari?" "Yeah everything is fine." I say as I put on a fake smile but he sees right through it.

"Mari what's going on?" "Ihavecancer." I quickly mumble. "Y-you what? Why didn't you tell me?" His face filled with worry. "I didn't want to worry you." "H-how long have you known about it?" "About 3 years." "Who else knows?" "Just my parents and now you- Look I really need to get going my mom is waiting for me in the car." "You've had it for 3 years and didn't tell anyone? Not even Alya knows?" I shake my head. "Can you keep it a secret? Please? I don't want people to worry about me. I don't want to be treated differently." "How can you not tell your best friend?" "I just can't tell anyone. I don't want to. Please keep this between us?"

He nods and pulls me into a hug. This is exactly what I didn't want. I don't want people to pity me or see me as some sick girl. He pulls away and looks at me with tears eyes. "I'm sorry- I probably shouldn't have done that. I'm not pitying you I promise. I just care about you." Oh my god it's like he read my mind! Wait did he just read my mind? I smile at him. "Don't worry I get it. But please don't cry. I'm okay." For now at least...