"You are my father?" I ask him quietly. His eyes widened. "You are!"

  He reached for my hands and held them. "Yes, baby. I am your father." We sat there while I try to digest all this information. "How did you find out?"

  "They told me today after school. Mom said that he won't help me pay for my school. Because he isn't my dad. That you were because he was in jail when I was conceived. They said that you were my father. Now I can't afford to pay for A&M. Or any good school. He told me to go to a junior college and he would only charge me a hundred for rent. I was supposed to sign the contract next week. Now that is over. I have to withdraw."

  I can tell that he was getting pissed. I put a hand on his fist. He instantly focused on me again. "Please don't throw me away too. Tell me the truth. How long have you known that I am your daughter? Are you sure that I'm not someone else's?"

  "Baby, I have been paying child support for seventeen years. Our agreement was that I would pay and half the money went into a trust account for college."

  "They didn't do that. What do I do now? I can't afford school. So I can't sign."

  "Have you thought about junior college? Or there is the military. You can move in with me."

  "Junior college is ok. Except I don't want to invest all that money for half the learning that I will need. What can I learn in the military? I want to be a computer programmer. I'm good at it."

  "Why don't we order some dinner and talk about our options?" He waved the waitress over and ordered us some burgers.

  "I can't stay there. I kinda started a fight between them."

  "How did you do that?" He asked as he sat back in his seat. I told him about each of their extra marital affairs. He laughed loudly, causing eyes to focus on us. "You are classic! I love it!"

  As we ate, we got a few things ironed out. A few other things started making sense. Things like uncle Brian always pushing me to make better grades, to better myself. Uncle Brian always taking an interest in my sports and teaching me karate. He always had to see my report cards. If I had trouble with a subject or needed supplies for a project, he was there for me. But not for Angie or Dustin. We decided that I would move in with him for the last two months of school. In the meantime, I will take the test for the military and see what they can offer. Get enough time in the Army or Air Force to get a G.I Bill. Then go to college.

  "You sacrificed so much for me. Now it makes sense. I just wish you could have told me a lot sooner."

  "I have always loved you the most."

  "Why did you never marry?"

  "Because nobody would understand the situation. Because they would want my full attention. I couldn't give them that. You had my attention and my heart."

  "You need a good woman. One who will cook for you, clean for you, and love you. If she loves you, then she will accept me and our situation. I know that you have a good woman at your side now."

  Sherri is a good woman. She loves Brian. She has two sons who she is raising by herself.

  "I need to tell her about you. Do you think that she will stick around?"

  "Yeah, she will. She likes me, but she loves you. Call her."

  "Hi guys! I didn't expect to see you here!"

  I look up and see Sherri walking toward us.

  "We were just talking about you! Join us." I told her with a smile.